PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop freezing during Install

BenGH
May 21st, 2009, 03:17 PM
Hello all,
I am trying to install Ubuntu 9.04 on an older PC that is currently running XP. I downloaded the iso image from the official site and burned the image using the Ubuntu site recommended writing software.
When I boot from the CD the language selection screen comes up as normal, and I select English – no problems there. The install page comes up and this is where the problems begin. I can scroll through the options “Try Ubuntu without making changes to your computer / Install Ubuntu” etc. and I can navigate with the F keys, but as soon as I select one of the main options, the computer freezes permanently.
I figure it could be a problem with the image or a faulty writing to the CD, but that seems unlikely.

Computer Specs:
Dell
P4 2.06 GHz processor
512 MB RAM
80G Hard drive

As I stated earlier the current OS is Windows XP and it is pretty heavily bogged down with junk/malware/etc. and I want to completely remove the old OS and old files and install only Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance
-Ben

Michael.Godawski
May 21st, 2009, 04:02 PM
hi,

are you able to check the CD for defects?
Have you perhaps tried the alternate installer disc (text installation) ?

BenGH
May 21st, 2009, 05:11 PM
Hi and thanks for your quick reply.

I am not able to check the CD for defects, it crashes/freezes the computer just the same as attempting to install.

Where can I find the alternate installer disc (text installation) and are there instructions available?

Thanks

telescopic
May 23rd, 2009, 03:11 PM
alternate text mode installation:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu
/downloadmirrors#alternate

I cannot install with live cd on my old computer.

wpshooter
May 23rd, 2009, 03:40 PM
What speed are you burning the Ubuntu CD at ?

Needs to be as slow as possible, preferably 4x or less.

Get www.killdisk.com to WIPE that old M/S O/S off of that computer.