PDA

View Full Version : The death of CDMA?

MorphingDragon
May 21st, 2009, 10:07 AM
Hey Guys,

Heres some interesting news that might be a good talk.
CDMA will no longer be a supported standard in AUS and NZ in 1-2 years,
Which covers all the Pacific Ocean and Tasman sea region.
Jumping gun to WCDMA, which is actually a GSM derivative
Which is sad because I wanted to try the Pre.
But if memory serves Palm never like GSM carriers.

If this spreads to the rest of the world like wildfire. (Like Banking cards did)
Wouldnt Sprint die? We dont have them here in New Zealand but from what Ive heard they
are the Vodafone/02 of America. But they seem a bit of a stubborn mule when it comes to "new".

Chilli Bob
May 21st, 2009, 02:32 PM
Didn't CDMA die here in AUS a couple of years ago? That's why I had to get a Next G, which, despite what they say, does not have nearly the coverage of CDMA.

hotweiss
May 21st, 2009, 02:42 PM
The two CDMA providers in Canada are going to GSM next year to. I am not surprised, Qualcomm monopolized the technology.

handy
May 21st, 2009, 03:49 PM
N.Z. has the reputation of being the country where new technology is tested first, bugs sorted & then unleashed on the rest of the world.

OZ, is not normally involved, but it looks like it is in this one. To me at least.

mxboy15u
May 21st, 2009, 04:11 PM
Verizon Wireless and Sprint are CDMA in the U.S. and they will not be changing anytime soon. There is another technology that all cell phone companies will be going to sooner or later, the name of it escapes me though.

MikeTheC
May 22nd, 2009, 03:08 AM
Verizon Wireless and Sprint are CDMA in the U.S. and they will not be changing anytime soon. There is another technology that all cell phone companies will be going to sooner or later, the name of it escapes me though.

http://www.fotosearch.com/bthumb/sdc/SDC131/187480SDC.jpg

FWIW, I'm on CDMA through Sprint and, having used GSM, I wasn't impressed... at all...

gletob
May 22nd, 2009, 04:11 AM
Tha Futcha IS LTE!!!!

LTE rules!!! Wimax drools!!!!

random_hypocrisy
May 22nd, 2009, 04:12 AM
...cdma?

Why cant I use ALL CAPITALS for CDMA, why does it auto lowercase it?

MorphingDragon
May 22nd, 2009, 05:58 AM
Tha Futcha IS LTE!!!!

WTF does that have to do with anything?

clintbrot
June 7th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Tha Futcha IS LTE!!!!

So does this mean that LTE support is coming in the mainline kernel and ubuntu soon? I know LTE is going to be 10x the speed as wimax but wimax is an open standard and LTE is proprietary. Since wimax is open it's already in mainline kernel, when's LTE coming?

Vostrocity
June 7th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Docomo, Japan's largest carrier also switched to GSM recently, so now Japan's all GSM.

Personally, I hate CDMA. I seriously wish it would die. Being a free as in speech person and someone that only buys unlocked phones, I love the freedom that GSM gives with world roaming and switching services and cell phones whenever you want. I hope Sprint and Verizon switch eventually as a lot of interesting MVNOs (like Boost and Cricket) ride on their CDMA waves.

MikeTheC
June 7th, 2009, 07:15 AM
I don't like GSM. I had it for about a year with AT&T and I couldn't stand it.
You cannot get near a lot of audio equipment with it, including (for instance) amp'd computer speakers;

The signal range and coverage is not as good as CDMA; whatever the causative factor, it must be addressed;

As signal quality drops, the audio quality degrades in a manner that makes everything start to sound very tinny. I really can't stand that.

If "the industry" could fix these deficiencies, I'd reconsider it. Maybe do this and call it, I dunno, "GSM 3.0" or something like that.

Moreover, and not to be rude or anything...

This whole predilection with Internationalization and "going along to get along" is really falling on a lot of deaf ears. Many of us -- myself included -- were born here, live here, and frankly either have no plans/means/ambitions to be anywhere else. I don't really care *how* they do it in another country. I want my stuff to work, I want it to function as I expect, and I'm not interested in putting up with any of the crap that present-generation GSM makes you go through, no matter "how much easier" it makes taking that phone around the world, or carriers their service. Just simply let me be!

mips
June 10th, 2009, 01:04 AM
There is another technology that all cell phone companies will be going to sooner or later, the name of it escapes me though.

UMTS which uses W-CDMA?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCDMA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Deployed_UMTS_networks