PDA

View Full Version : Using the Ubuntu name

mdgrech
May 21st, 2009, 05:24 AM
I'd like to create a Ubuntu blog, can I use the word Ubuntu in the name of the blog. For example blogubuntu.com ??? Thanks guys :)

lisati
May 21st, 2009, 05:28 AM
You might want to have a look here: http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy

mdgrech
May 21st, 2009, 05:31 AM
It looks like that is a big No:

Restricted use that requires a trademark license

Permission from us is necessary to use any of the Trademarks under any circumstances other than those specifically permitted above. These include:

Any commercial use.

Use on or in relation to a software product that includes or is built on top of a product supplied by us, if there is any commercial intent associated with that product.

Use in a domain name or URL.

Use for merchandising purposes, e.g. on t-shirts and the like.

Use of a name which includes the letters BUNTU in relation to computer hardware or software.

Services relating to any of the above.

monsterstack
May 21st, 2009, 05:53 AM
You can go right ahead and use the word Ubuntu so long as there is no way in hell it can be confused with the official trademark of Ubuntu. You could have an Ubuntu Sucks! blog, possibly. Nobody would confuse that site with Canonical's Linux distribution. Trademark Law can be confusing, but basically, it protects companies from others masquerading their products as the real deal. It stops Adidas from making Air Max 96 sneakers, or Microsoft from making Windows Ubuntu Ultimate Edition. Remember, it is all open to interpretation. If Canonical's lawyers feel you are infringing on Ubuntu's trademark, and it can be shown that it would be possible to confuse your blog with the official Ubuntu product, then they will sue.

DeadSuperHero
May 21st, 2009, 06:13 AM
Last I checked, Canonical is not very liberal when it comes to using their trademark. =/
Sorry, I don't know what else to tell you.

But hey, don't feel bad! Why not trying to just blog about Linux in general, and mention Ubuntu every now and again? That gives you a broader spectrum to focus on, while at the same time being able to talk about things you like!

mdgrech
May 21st, 2009, 06:16 AM
True that. Yah there trademark policy is very clear. Don't use the name Ubuntu within your domain name. I'm sure someone down the road will be quick to point out a blog that uses the Ubuntu name but this is something I'd rather not test Ubuntu on. After all the last thing I want is to be sued for copyright infringement.

monsterstack
May 21st, 2009, 06:21 AM
True that. Yah there trademark policy is very clear. Don't use the name Ubuntu within your domain name. I'm sure someone down the road will be quick to point out a blog that uses the Ubuntu name but this is something I'd rather not test Ubuntu on. After all the last thing I want is to be sued for copyright infringement.

Slow down there, buddy. Trademark- and copyright-infringement are two very different things. Canonical have no claim on ownership of the word Ubuntu. It was around and being used long before Mark Shuttleworth's company existed.

MikeTheC
May 21st, 2009, 06:25 AM
Can we take the name Ubuntu in vain? You know, like "Ubuntu-d@mmit!"? Is that allowed?

mdgrech
May 21st, 2009, 06:28 AM
did you read their trademark policy? It says loud and clear permission is required for any commercial use which includes receiving revenue through advertising, or using the word ubuntu in your domain name.

monsterstack
May 21st, 2009, 06:38 AM
did you read their trademark policy? It says loud and clear permission is required for any commercial use which includes receiving revenue through advertising, or using the word ubuntu in your domain name.

Trademark Law prevents you from using "Ubuntu" to sell competing products. It doesn't stop you from using it to refer to Ubuntu or anything about Ubuntu. It is known as nominative fair use (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominative_use) [wikipedia.org]. If you are going to use the word "Ubuntu", all you have to do is make it clear that Ubuntu itself doesn't endorse you.

MikeTheC
May 21st, 2009, 06:44 AM
KHAN: I make you a counter-proposal. I'll agree to your terms, if... if... in addition to yourself, you hand over to me all data and material regarding the project called Ubuntu.

KIRK: Ubuntu, what's that?

KHAN: Don't insult my intelligence, Kirk.

KIRK: Give me some time to recall the data on our computers...

KHAN: I give you sixty seconds, Admiral.

mdgrech
May 21st, 2009, 06:46 AM
Well I still plan to ask for their permission. I'll be sure to post the results here. I'm certainly not a lawyer, just someone who wants to play by the rules, and by looking at their policy it seems very clear that they do not want you to use the word ubuntu in your domain name but we shall see. Thanks for your input guys.

Dragonbite
May 21st, 2009, 01:40 PM
Can we take the name Ubuntu in vain? You know, like "Ubuntu-d@mmit!"? Is that allowed?

I take it in vain every time I try and get my printer working, but that's another story ;) !

Or "Damn You Boon Two!" (can I legally use that?)

Tristam Green
May 21st, 2009, 02:07 PM

Glad I'm not the only person who immediately thought of that when reading the thread title :lolflag:

MikeTheC
May 22nd, 2009, 03:10 AM
I take it in vain every time I try and get my printer working, but that's another story ;) !

Or "Damn You Boon Two!" (can I legally use that?)

- and -

Glad I'm not the only person who immediately thought of that when reading the thread title :lolflag:

Glad to meet you two. Wanna start the club?

Actually, I really like Ubuntu. It has me 100% spoiled when it comes to distros. Everything else looks clunky or somehow less desirable.

elliotn
May 22nd, 2009, 04:22 AM
The word Ubuntu her in SA is used in many ways for many things but cannot be used for commencial reason as it has already been taken by canonical by it can be used in other things