PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Vino-preferences advanced options in Jaunty

Zerocool3001
May 21st, 2009, 05:07 AM
Since Jaunty removed the "Advanced" settings from vino-preferences, I was wondering how to change some of the settings found there (most importantly the port used). I'm trying to connect to an Ubuntu box from Mac OS 10.5.7 and I need to set the port. I would use gconf, but I can't seem to find any guides for editing %gconf.xml. Any help would be appreciated.

AlanB66
June 4th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I tried adding these lines ...

<entry name="alternative_port" mtime="1216949631" type="int" value="5969"></entry>
<entry name="use_alternative_port" mtime="1216751966" type="bool" value="true"></entry>

... but the new Vino will not swallow them properly. Still hacking away.

AlanB66
June 4th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Solved!

First, edit the %gconf.xml file adding the lines I displayed in my last post.

Next, open the Gnome Configuration Editor: gconf-editor

Proceed to desktop -> gnome -> remote_access

Place a check in the box for: use_alternative_port
Also, change the port to the value of your liking by double-clicking on alternative_port and changing the last two digits to any number between 01 and 99 (use two digit notation).

Close the Gnome Configuration Editor and re-try your VNC connection to the port you prefer (e.g.: jaunty:69)

diablo75
June 14th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Solved!

First, edit the %gconf.xml file adding the lines I displayed in my last post.

Next, open the Gnome Configuration Editor: gconf-editor

Proceed to desktop -> gnome -> remote_access

Place a check in the box for: use_alternative_port
Also, change the port to the value of your liking by double-clicking on alternative_port and changing the last two digits to any number between 01 and 99 (use two digit notation).

Close the Gnome Configuration Editor and re-try your VNC connection to the port you prefer (e.g.: jaunty:69)

I've had luck with your instructions, except I did not have to edit any xml files. I only opened gconf-editor, checked off the use-alternate box and edited the value for the alternative port to the desired port number. Thanks!!