PDA

View Full Version : Acer 5515 running live CD ok

richg
May 21st, 2009, 02:25 AM
Just received a new Acer 5515 laptop with Vista Basic. Cost $325, free shipping of off ebay. Never been out of the original Acer box. Looks like it just came out of the "factory". Still had original wrappings.
Did a search a couple weeks or so ago and people have been selling this PC for under $400.00.

My stepson bought one at a local Walmart for $348.00, plus sales tax a couple months ago.
Wireless, sound, Internet and a few other things work just fine running Live CD. Great machine.
Not sure if I should dual boot or put Linux over the complete drive.

This so reminds me how difficult Windows can be.

Rich

richg
June 2nd, 2009, 04:17 AM
I just received an identical hard drive for this laptop. $49.00 free shipping. Installed a Linux OS and it runs just fine. I do not dual boot. Audio a little lower than the Visa Basic OS audio. Wireless is fine, Plays DVD's right out of the box. Very slick laptop for the price.
From what I can see, Walmart sold a bunch of these at $348.00, plus local sales tax. Individuals are trying to sell them on the 'Net for a few dollars more.

Rich

Ripfox
June 2nd, 2009, 04:34 AM
Thanks, I may look into one more Acer. They seem to play nice...

richg
August 17th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Rich, I recently installed 9.4 on my Acer Aspire 5515 and it will not charge the battery now..and I am receiving errors on boot an "MP-bios bug 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC"
plus 2 other errors...*sorry I have not been able to catch them in entirety yet*

I have no other OS on the laptop..as I wiped out Vista with the Ubuntu 9.4 install
Is your battery charging..? are you getting similar boot errors?
If not.., would you be kind enough to compare grub menu.lst with me to help shed some light on my laptops errors Please ?

Thanks in advance!!

End Quote:

Hi GnuUserHere

Here is what I see. I have no errors and the laptop runs just fine. No battery issues. Let me know if there are any other commands to try. I know Mint is built of off Ubuntu.

I installed Mint 7 as that what I have been running on my desktop PC's.

I never tried Ubuntu. The drive only has Mint 7. No dual booting with Vista.

lexon@lexon-desktop ~ $ menu.lst

bash: menu.lst: command not found

lexon@lexon-desktop ~ $

Rich

Where did you message go? All I see is your question in my email.