PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu last call

aboudnq
May 21st, 2009, 01:48 AM
Hi every one

Iím Aboud from Riyadh and Iíve been a windows freak for the last 15 years

I decide to try ubuntu because one I met in Singapore recommend it for me so I said what the heak???

I freeze for 2 weeks in front of the internet reading all about lunix and ubuntu and yesterday I format one of my Desktops so I can install Ubuntu 9.04 from scratch

I install it perfectly according to the manuals and I update all my hardware+software+security and finally I run the desktop effect which was marvelous

On that time I look on my other 2 desktops and my laptop and I say Iím gonna install ubuntu in each one of you and I will say chawwww to windows

On these lovely moments and sprinkles of happiness I make the biggest mistake (I restart the system)

Everything goes black and dark blue and Ubuntu comes with ugly face saying (Canít touch this)

So people is there something I mess here or this is ubuntu?????

My system
Intel processor 8400
Asus mother board
2 G ram

aboudnq
May 21st, 2009, 03:34 AM
Something else my dears

I try to reboot again but still the same problem then I boot (ubuntu recover) and nothing happens

I’m shore of all my hardware is working

so again is this Ubuntu (just a big hallow Balloon)

QIII
May 21st, 2009, 05:48 AM
Are you saying that some sort of graphical representation of a face with taunting text actually appears on your screen?

Or is that a metaphor for "black screen"?

If you are actually getting some graphic like that on your screen, it is not Ubuntu.

You have a deep problem on your hard drive, like a rootkit that some teenaged Redmond Fanboyz infected you with.

Wiebelhaus
May 21st, 2009, 05:53 AM
I don't understand your post and I regularly have conversations with people from all over the world. I'm sorry but if you can't figure out a way to post more clearly what the issue is then we may not be able to help you.

Cheers.

pastalavista
May 21st, 2009, 05:54 AM
Ubuntu, unlike Windows, will not work for crazy people.

hvacmoose
May 21st, 2009, 06:01 AM
start over you did something wrong

Wiebelhaus
May 21st, 2009, 06:01 AM

I'll admit that was funny , but not polite , this is probably a terminology and or a language barrier problem , if this person could communicate in Singaporean then there would probably not be any issue at all , let's try to respect that.

Thanks.

lisati
May 21st, 2009, 06:05 AM
I'm wondering if there's a metaphor we're missing or someone has played a horrible practical joke on the original poster.

aboudnq: where did you get your copy of Ubuntu from?

QIII
May 21st, 2009, 06:06 AM
I hope it's just a metaphor.

RoboNuggie
May 21st, 2009, 09:29 AM
So....

He installed onto one machine, seems to work alright.... tried other machines, who then crashed and gave cryptic message?

Or, was it the main machine that went funny?

?

o_O

aboudnq
May 21st, 2009, 02:24 PM
Are you saying that some sort of graphical representation of a face with taunting text actually appears on your screen?

Or is that a metaphor for "black screen"?

If you are actually getting some graphic like that on your screen, it is not Ubuntu.

You have a deep problem on your hard drive, like a rootkit that some teenaged Redmond Fanboyz infected you with.

thanks a lot for your replies but you all should try some sense of humor.....seriously

will what I mean by ugly face is screen with horizontal colored lines just like Old TV but with bad arrangement and I mean by (canít touch this) that I couldnít change anything or restart the system again (I try everything ESC,Inter, shift+alt+del)

and dear QIII

I inshore you that even if a teenaged try to do that I will know and thanks again for your concern

aboudnq
May 21st, 2009, 02:48 PM
I don't understand your post and I regularly have conversations with people from all over the world. I'm sorry but if you can't figure out a way to post more clearly what the issue is then we may not be able to help you.

Cheers.

Iím very sorry about that but Ill fraze it very simple

After install Ubuntu 9.04 on my 40G hard drive I fallow everything which I was good in it

I manage to connect it to net throw my home network hi speed twisted pair Ethernet and I update the system hardware and software and finally I run the desktop effect which work fine

After that I browse the internet by Firefox for 3 hours until I convince myself that I should change everything to Ubuntu

So I restart the PC (by clicking restart in Ubuntu start menu)

Nothing comes out and the screen become like old TV with horizontal color lined but smaller and keyboard + mouse are useless

I restart it again by PC restart PB and again the problem still there so I push ESC during booting and I try recover (same)

I hope that clear something for you and I hope you can help.

Regardsí
Aboud

QIII
May 21st, 2009, 04:28 PM
We all have a sense of humor, I can assure you. It was simply difficult to understand what you were saying.

If you were able to install Ubuntu on one machine, you should be able to do so on others.

Are you using a "Live" CD? If so, use the "Try Ubuntu" selection and see what happens.

If there is a hardware issue, for instance in your video card or its driver (and there may be), the behavior should be repeated using the Live CD.

If the Live CD works, then something went wrong with your initial installation. Try again. For the most part the install should be very easy.

Burillo
May 21st, 2009, 05:08 PM
I think i had this problem when i updated from 8.04 to 9.04 recently - the X had some random color scattered all over the top of the screen and just freezed (and by "freezed" i mean the computer completely freezed - didn't even react on CAPS LOCK). After that i managed to get to recovery mode and uninstalled my ATi driver (fglrx), rebooted and everything was fine.

QIII
May 21st, 2009, 05:36 PM
Burillo -- Agree, since there are some known issues - particularly with Intel cards.

He may not know how to "uninstall" anything yet, though.

Probably should let him try to reinstall. If he still has issues, he'll need more info than "uninstall this or that".

aboudnq
May 21st, 2009, 07:04 PM

I wonder! why

It works for you thaw :D

aboudnq
May 21st, 2009, 07:06 PM
start over you did something wrong

Will, this is my last solution

thanks any way

aboudnq
May 21st, 2009, 07:16 PM
I'm wondering if there's a metaphor we're missing or someone has played a horrible practical joke on the original poster.

aboudnq: where did you get your copy of Ubuntu from?

I download it from Ubuntu site and I burn it in cd

V9.04

this is the link

http://ftp.riken.jp/Linux/ubuntu-cdimage/jaunty/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso

QIII
May 21st, 2009, 09:29 PM
Did you try running it as a Live session by clicking "Try Ubuntu"?

aboudnq
May 21st, 2009, 10:03 PM
yes sir i try and it works fine like new

and i run the system test and this is the file on rapidshare

http://rapidshare.com/files/235731011/submission.rar.html

may god be with you and thanks for your help

regards'
Aboud

Random-penguin
May 21st, 2009, 10:43 PM
Have you got an ATI card?? I had a similar issue using the proprietary drivers offered by Ubuntu. My solution was to download the latest from AMD following their install advice.

If so use this link: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

I not sure if this helpful, but good luck in your exploration of Linux... Don't despair most of us found issues to start with mainly because of the different way of doing things.

ps My advice in general is to stick to the packages available in the ubuntu repositories. They are tested to work with your version of Ubuntu:)

aboudnq
May 21st, 2009, 11:41 PM
Have you got an ATI card?? I had a similar issue using the proprietary drivers offered by Ubuntu. My solution was to download the latest from AMD following their install advice.

If so use this link: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

I not sure if this helpful, but good luck in your exploration of Linux... Don't despair most of us found issues to start with mainly because of the different way of doing things.

ps My advice in general is to stick to the packages available in the ubuntu repositories. They are tested to work with your version of Ubuntu:)

I got Intel GMA 950 inside my motherboard Asus P5GC-MX/1333 and I think this is my problem

is there a driver for ubuntu to solve it ???

QIII
May 22nd, 2009, 02:48 AM
Aboudnq --

I don't know if your Intel graphics are to blame, but please take a look at

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/904

Scroll down to:

Other known issues
Performance regressions on Intel graphics cards

If you need help with how to modify your xorg.conf file, someone here can help.

Skara Brae
May 22nd, 2009, 10:01 AM
...and finally I run the desktop effect which work fine...

Perhaps you did something wrong in the desktop effect settings (I assume Compiz)?

I mean: after having "done something wrong" myself, with a clean install of openSUSE w/ KDE and Compiz, and after starting up my PC the next day, the screen stayed black... I am sure it was some driver setting with my Geforce 6600GT that I had "played" with, but unfortunately I don't recall what exactly (XGL?).

I am just an "experienced n00b" - but still a n00b - so instead of trying to find a solution, I just installed Kubuntu - which is "better" than openSUSE.
Kubuntu is already gone again, too, since I don't like KDE much (I am a Gnome-adherent). I replaced it with Xubuntu (triple-boot with Ubuntu 7.10 and XP Home) and no computer I ever had has ever ran as fast as Xubuntu - man, that goes fast! *lol*
Anyway.

--

Aboudnq,

Whatever you try or do -- do not give up on Linux! If you try long enough, you will find a system that will work and that you will like, and you will never want to go back to Windows.

aboudnq
May 22nd, 2009, 12:44 PM
I think this is my problem

Display freezes with Intel graphics cards

Users of various Intel video chipsets reported freezes under various conditions (e. g. a few minutes after suspend on the i945, see 339091 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/339091)). In many cases, switching off desktop effects in System → Preferences → Appearance was reported to help.
If it still happens without desktop effects, you can add Option "DRI" "off" to the Device section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf, as described above. This will disable 3D acceleration and desktop effects, but makes suspend work reliably again and also avoid many types of crashes.
These freezes happen particularly often on the i965 chips (359392 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/359392)). For that reason, desktop effects were disabled by default on this chipset in the final release. They will be re-enabled in a 9.04 Update once the problem has been fixed.

================================================== ==

ok ...........I know now what happen and I’m gona buy new graphic card so what do you recommend because I have to have desktop effects

aboudnq
May 22nd, 2009, 01:31 PM
well Skara Brae

you blow my mind

after your reply I made a cop of hazelnut espresso and I sat down sailing in the web reading about Xubuntu and I made a compare between it and Ubuntu and I realize Xubuntu is faster because it does not need to much resources to run

I went to Xubuntu site and i just download the 9.04 iso for Intel and definitely I will try it if I’m stuck again with any problem with Ubuntu

thanks again man

RyanVanDiemen
May 22nd, 2009, 02:30 PM
[U][I]
[B]Display freezes with Intel graphics cards
[/FONT][/COLOR]

My computer has a similar problem. It freezes after a while while desktop effects are turned on. I use KDE4 though, in gnome, everything works smoothly. Yeah, and my card is not Intel but ATI Radeon.

bobbob1016
May 25th, 2009, 12:58 AM
thanks a lot for your replies but you all should try some sense of humor.....seriously

will what I mean by ugly face is screen with horizontal colored lines just like Old TV but with bad arrangement and I mean by (canít touch this) that I couldnít change anything or restart the system again (I try everything ESC,Inter, shift+alt+del)

and dear QIII

I inshore you that even if a teenaged try to do that I will know and thanks again for your concern

The issue people are having is with how non-descriptive your first post was. "Ugly screen" could mean anything, could be you don't like the login screen, could mean text on the screen or anything else.

Now, to help with your issue, are you sure your screen is plugged into your computer securely? Always better to check the simple things first.

miegiel
May 25th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Try HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582)

Or install ubuntu 8.10 (the previous version of ubuntu).