PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Maybe installing Ubuntu with Wubi

Nicka727
May 20th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I'm thinking of installing Ubuntu on my Vista machine with Wubi. Considering I only have 20GB left on my HD, I will install it with the 5GB option. But I am afraid of seriously messing something up. I've heard stories of people not being able to boot into Windows afterwards and other problems. It's my main home computer, so yeah. Thanks for the help..Nick

juice43
May 20th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I've used Wubi, for a while without a hitch. Uninstalling Ubuntu was also easy with it, but I came to an issue when uninstalling the actual Wubi. I solved this by running a Tuneup Registry clean. Otherwise, Wubi was very good for using Ubuntu, besides the fact that it was tied down to Windows.

Mark Phelps
May 21st, 2009, 05:59 PM
Before you install, I strongly suggest you try the LiveCD approach. That will allow you to determine how well Ubuntu detects your hardware and loads the proper drivers.

There have been a lot of posts about folks just installing 9.04 and then not having graphics. While minor glitches like WiFi are easily fixed, not having graphics is a more serious problem.