PDA

View Full Version : Wiping a drive securely

logos34
May 20th, 2009, 10:42 PM
ok, here's another story I saw while over at the Beeb site:

Hitting delete
Selling a PC? How to delete all the data on it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8056364.stm

Folks, if you think formatting a drive erases it securely, think again. And don't even think that simply deleting files (trash) is going to do it.

Even formatted drive partitions can easily be recovered using Testdisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk) (avail in the ubuntu repos).

If you want to securely wipe it, you don't even need DBan disk. The dd command will do same thing:

# dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdx

northwestuntu
May 20th, 2009, 10:44 PM
i used a program called killdisk. worked good and had a lot of options.

gnomeuser
May 20th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Darik's Burn and Nuke (http://www.dban.org/)

stmiller
May 20th, 2009, 10:58 PM
dban!

starcannon
May 20th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I just pull my hdd's out and put new ones in; its cheap, easy, and actually adds "value" to the computer, making it easier for me to sell. I then "archive" my hdd in a cardboard box in the basement lol; I may have to turn them into generic file storage space one of these days.

John.Michael.Kane
May 20th, 2009, 11:09 PM
There is also HDDerase.

logos34
May 21st, 2009, 12:44 AM
But the dd command is just as good as the free version of DBan, killdisk or something like Shred--it's included on the ubuntu live install cd (and just about every other linux utility disk). The point is you don't need any proprietary software app.

Of course you could always deploy the basic dd command more associated with backing up Master Boot Records (MBR) and imaging partitions or whole disks. It really is as simple as dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda to overwrite a drive with a series of zeros or dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hda which overwrites a drive with random data (though some will claim it is only really pseudo-random). However, if you think this is pretty basic and can’t compete with the relative granularity of Shred or Secure-delete there are those who disagree. The people at 16 Systems have issued the “Great Zero Challenge” to established recovery businesses to retrieve one file and one folder from a hard drive wiped with the dd command. So far the prize has remained unclaimed.

dragos240
May 21st, 2009, 12:49 AM
also you could just delete the partition too. There's nothing left after that, and no way to recover it.

Mehall
May 21st, 2009, 12:50 AM
Yeah, 16 Systems say that most data recovery companies will hang up as soon as you say the letters "dd", and the ones that don't will ask if it completed first. if the answer is yes, THAT'S when they hang up.

/dev/zero is more than enough (having said that, I DO have a couple copies of DBAN, but it's easier and quicker to boot than a Live Disc, and loads all of itself to ram. once it's running, you can take the disc out.)

logos34
May 21st, 2009, 12:53 AM
also you could just delete the partition too. There's nothing left after that, and no way to recover it.

Testdisk can. It locates and restores deleted, lost and damaged partitions.

Yeah, 16 Systems say that most data recovery companies will hang up as soon as you say the letters "dd", and the ones that don't will ask if it completed first. if the answer is yes, THAT'S when they hang up.
:lolflag:

Ceiber Boy
May 21st, 2009, 12:54 AM
Kill Disk is a us department of defence program that they use to erase the data from their hardisks before they decommission them. it is a free download and the program is run from a cd from BIOS. it simply stamps zeros right the way across your hardisk. phically removing the data.

for the more secure random hex version you have to pay fore, but to retrive any data from a hardisk that has had zeroes stampt across it would take some excessively expensive equipemnt that is only within the price range of govenment agencies!

dragos240
May 21st, 2009, 12:55 AM
Testdisk can. It locates and restores deleted, lost and damaged partitions.

Dang...

logos34
May 21st, 2009, 01:03 AM
Dang...

what'd you do--sell a disk like that, just partitions deleted?

dragos240
May 21st, 2009, 01:07 AM
No. Just that my previous statements were proven false, nothing else. And that deleting partitions is not the safest way of wiping a disk.

Mehall
May 21st, 2009, 01:09 AM
:lolflag:

You think I'm kidding? they hate dd!

They can't make money off you when dd is used, because every sensible human being will only agree to pay if they recover the data you need, which they can't!!!

tylerspaska
May 21st, 2009, 01:09 AM
i use the shred command

Ceiber Boy
May 21st, 2009, 01:12 AM
i use the shred command

the shred command?

dragos240
May 21st, 2009, 01:13 AM
i use the shred command
Never heard of it. Sounds fun.

logos34
May 21st, 2009, 01:14 AM
No. Just that my previous statements were proven false, nothing else. And that deleting partitions is not the safest way of wiping a disk.

oh. Personally, it still amazes how much data can be recovered with the right forensic tools. I mean, if I was going to plan a crime, I'd definitely stay away from a computer (or burn the drive afterward!).

The part in the new piece about how hard it is to delete files in windows (there's always a copy somewhere) is so true. Microsoft is so insecure. I mean the fact that you can access an NTFS partition without the user/admin password is a joke.

CJ Master
May 21st, 2009, 01:16 AM
[self-advertisment]Article on how to completely format the hard drive. (http://www.ehow.com/how_4999811_completely-format-hard-drive.html)[/self-advertisment]

Regardless, It's true that it's easily recoverable even if you delete your partitions. The sad part is that people sell computers with only wiping out the trash...

schauerlich
May 21st, 2009, 01:17 AM
A sledge hammer is really the only way you can be sure your data is unreadable.

FuturePilot
May 21st, 2009, 01:18 AM
I mean the fact that you can access an NTFS partition without the user/admin password is a joke.
You can access any file system without a username and password as long as the software can understand the file system. The only way to protect against any information getting pulled off the drive is to encrypt your files. Even at that point though, if someone has physical access to a machine, you're done anyway.

Ceiber Boy
May 21st, 2009, 01:21 AM
oh. Personally, it still amazes how much data can be recovered with the right forensic tools. I mean, if I was going to plan a crime, I'd definitely stay away from a computer (or burn the drive afterward!).

The part in the new piece about how hard it is to delete files in windows (there's always a copy somewhere) is so true. Microsoft is so insecure. I mean the fact that you can access an NTFS partition without the user/admin password is a joke.

This is a bit off topic but what is the huge secret about NTFS, that MS claims intellectual property for!?
is the complete knowledge of its operation given somewhere on the net?

dragos240
May 21st, 2009, 01:21 AM

I can access linux partitions from another drive with mount. It's easy as heck!

logos34
May 21st, 2009, 01:26 AM
You think I'm kidding? they hate dd!

They can't make money off you when dd is used, because every sensible human being will only agree to pay if they recover the data you need, which they can't!!!

yeah, I'm sure they do hate dd.

Personally, when I plan my next crime (murdering my mother) I intend to use dd to cover my tracks...

logos34
May 21st, 2009, 01:33 AM
You can access any file system without a username and password as long as the software can understand the file system. The only way to protect against any information getting pulled off the drive is to encrypt your files. Even at that point though, if someone has physical access to a machine, you're done anyway.

yeah, all of you are right, you can access any fs, of course, what was I thinking, duh

(I think I'm getting 'brainfreeze' from all the ice cream I'm eating right now...)

Okay, but consider this: you CAN access an XP machine to reset the PASSWORD when you've forgotten it. I've done it, using a hack with a floppy. The only way to protect your files is to encrypt them, like you say)

FuturePilot
May 21st, 2009, 01:37 AM
Okay, but consider this: you CAN access an XP machine to reset the PASSWORD when you've forgotten it. I've done it, using a hack with a floppy. The only way to protect your files is to encrypt them, like you say)

You can also reset a user's password in Linux too from a live CD using a chroot.

Like I said before, malicious person + physical access = very bad
you can do just about anything if you have physical access.

t0p
May 21st, 2009, 01:39 AM
If you want to talk intelligently about secure deletion, it's worth checking out this site (http://mirror.href.com/thestarman/asm/mbr/WIPE.html). It goes into some detail about "wiping", "erasing", "deleting"... explains what these terms mean, and what they don't mean. There's a lot of crap going around about what can and can't be recovered. And there's the simple fact that dban and dd are pretty much the last word in effective erasure.

If you want to break out the electron microscopes then the DoD want nothing less than degaussing and/or physical destruction of the disk. But, as the site says:

Personally, from the information we've read about such procedures, I consider them to be ridiculous in their extreme measures; hostile forces will always look for the 'weakest link' in obtaining desired information, and we believe it's still easier and quicker to obtain it from open communications and vulnerable human sources than any adequately overwritten hard disk

So chill out peeps! dd is good enough!

zurack
May 21st, 2009, 01:40 AM
When we assist on an investigation to recover data (known as analysis in the trade) the very first thing is to make a mirror copy of the media (HDD CD USB...) so as not to alter the original media.
Deleting data from Windows is highly unlikely due to the way Windows and installed applications handle the data, the online programs like window washer and east-teck eraser are not going to save anyone as fragments will remain.

I have seen Dban quoted many times and would agree that program if used correctly would securely prevent any recovery of data. However Dban does not overwrite bad sectors and although the chances of sensitive being written there is very unlikely it still remains a place I would anaylise.

meeples
May 21st, 2009, 01:55 AM
ive heard of the shred command. as far as i know i scrambles the binaries or something like shredding paper so that its unreadable unless you get scientists at it with special magnets.

i think.

t0p
May 21st, 2009, 01:57 AM
Dban does not overwrite bad sectors and although the chances of sensitive being written there is very unlikely it still remains a place I would anaylise.

According to the periodic disk check Ubuntu does on my machine, there's nothing wrong with my relatively old hard drive. No bad sectors, no analyzing them!

The real problem with utilities like dban and dd is that they are slow. So if the Man catches you by surprise, he's got you by the short and curlies!

haroldh7
May 21st, 2009, 01:59 AM
When I want to get rid of a drive and want to make sure no one gets any data on the hard drive, I use a hammer on the drive so that no one can use it.
Now that is the best way to secure a drive from the wrong hands..

t0p
May 21st, 2009, 02:21 AM
When I want to get rid of a drive and want to make sure no one gets any data on the hard drive, I use a hammer on the drive so that no one can use it.
Now that is the best way to secure a drive from the wrong hands..

Not if they're coming in through the windows to get you! A hammer just can't do enough damage in a short space of time.

What you need is thermite charges pre-placed in the drive's casing. Push a button and up it goes in a brilliant flash! Best not press it by mistake though...

tylerspaska
May 21st, 2009, 08:05 AM
type "man shred" in the terminal to read up on it, but essentially it overwrites your data 25 times in 1's and 0's and randomly. Then I always have it write with the '-z' option to hide the fact that you've erased or "shreded" the drive, file, or whatever.

Some people are joking that they are using a hammer to destroy the drive, but that really isn't the best way at all. if the platters are wrinkled or even torn in half and someone really wants the data, they can still get it.

You should drill holes in the drive casing, pour in sulfiric acid (you can get it at a hardware store sold as a very powerful drain cleaner, just read the labels) then burn the drive.

Rainstride
May 21st, 2009, 08:27 AM
ok, here's another story I saw while over at the Beeb site:

Folks, if you think formatting a drive erases it securely, think again. And don't even think that simply deleting files (trash) is going to do it.

Even formatted drive partitions can easily be recovered using Testdisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk) (avail in the ubuntu repos).

If you want to securely wipe it, you don't even need DBan disk. The dd command will do same thing:

i though most people knew this. i use webroot eraser, its a disk you can make with the windows program "windows washer". i use that to wipe out the drive completely then install with full disk encryption.(i use 35 wipe gutmann mode.)

monsterstack
May 21st, 2009, 08:34 AM
There are some official US Department of Defense guidelines (http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-88/NISTSP800-88_rev1.pdf) [nist.gov] [pdf] for purging a disk.

But according to this article (http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/sec96/full_papers/gutmann/index.html) [usenix.org], you need to be a bit more extreme:

We now have a set of 22 overwrite patterns which should erase everything, regardless of the raw encoding. The basic disk eraser can be improved slightly by adding random passes before and after the erase process, and by performing the deterministic passes in random order to make it more difficult to guess which of the known data passes were made at which point. To deal with all this in the overwrite process, we use the sequence of 35 consecutive writes shown below:

Basically, the only way to be safe is to do the following:

Overwrite the disk thirty-five times with a series of different random data-generating algorithms.
Degauss the entire disk using a powerful electromagnet.
Crush the disk with a steamroller.
Use thermite charges to blow it up.
Put the remnants of the disintegrated disk into the heart of a volcano.
Take the magma from the volcano and make it radioactive.
Put the radioactive molten slag on a rocket and send it into the heart of the sun.
Blow up the sun.

Rainstride
May 21st, 2009, 08:40 AM
There are some official US Department of Defense guidelines (http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-88/NISTSP800-88_rev1.pdf) [nist.gov] [pdf] for purging a disk.

But according to this article (http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/sec96/full_papers/gutmann/index.html) [usenix.org], you need to be a bit more extreme:

Basically, the only way to be safe is to do the following:

Overwrite the disk thirty-five times with a series of different random data-generating algorithms.
Degauss the entire disk using a powerful electromagnet.
Crush the disk with a steamroller.
Use thermite charges to blow it up.
Put the remnants of the disintegrated disk into the heart of a volcano.
Take the magma from the volcano and make it radioactive.
Put the radioactive molten slag on a rocket and send it into the heart of the sun.
Blow up the sun.

gutmann mode. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutmann_method

meganox
May 21st, 2009, 10:00 AM
That's pure FUD. Gutmann 35 pass is a complete waste of time. Even Peter Gutmann admits this. His assumptions simply do not apply to modern hardware.

http://www.law.com/jsp/legaltechnology/pubArticleLT.jsp?id=1202429342339

I read a paper where they tried to read back data that had been overwritten with a single pass of zeros with an electron microscope, and even though they knew exactly where on the disk they had written the data they were unable to retrieve it. Unfortunately I can't find the link.

dd with zeros is good enough. The only problem is with bad sectors (G-List). Apparently Secure Erase calls the self-destruct function in modern hard drives to deal with this, so it is the safest software solution.

But for simply wiping a drive in order to sell it, dd is good enough for anyone.

Seriously.

Edit: Gutmann's quote, from the wikipedia article you referenced.

In the time since this paper was published, some people have treated the 35-pass overwrite technique described in it more as a kind of voodoo incantation to banish evil spirits than the result of a technical analysis of drive encoding techniques. As a result, they advocate applying the voodoo to PRML (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRML) and EPRML (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=EPRML&action=edit&redlink=1) drives even though it will have no more effect than a simple scrubbing with random data. In fact performing the full 35-pass overwrite is pointless for any drive since it targets a blend of scenarios involving all types of (normally-used) encoding technology, which covers everything back to 30+-year-old MFM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modified_Frequency_Modulation) methods (if you don't understand that statement, re-read the paper). If you're using a drive which uses encoding technology X, you only need to perform the passes specific to X, and you never need to perform all 35 passes. For any modern PRML/EPRML drive, a few passes of random scrubbing is the best you can do. As the paper says, "A good scrubbing with random data will do about as well as can be expected". This was true in 1996, and is still true now.

monsterstack
May 21st, 2009, 10:03 AM
That's pure FUD.

I understand your criticism, but since when has FUD been synonymous with "superfluous and redundant"?

meganox
May 21st, 2009, 10:09 AM
It's not. Gutmann is superfluous and redundant. Advocating it is FUD.