PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Secondary monitor Turns black except for pointer on login

ryanlhjess
May 20th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Good Day

I have had a strange event happen.

I logged into Ubuntu today and my secondary monitor seemed normal, and then flash went black (did not turn off just turned black) all except for the pointer which i can still see. I have tried switching to twinview and then back to separate xsession. Twinview worked fine, and then when i went back to separate xsession, it happened again.

Put Differently

Separate Xsession
Secondary Monitor shows desktop, and then turns black and I can only
see my mouse pointer.
Switched to twinview...worked fine
Switched back to separate xsession, turned black except for the pointer as before.

ckonestroh
May 20th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Searched google came to this post on X session

http://forum.kde.org/separate-x-sessions-on-dual-screens-for-kde4-t-12180-2.html

Looks like from this post in this furom that driver issue is the problem...

Mixed bag of tricks....

later good luck...

ryanlhjess
May 20th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Thank you so very much for taking the time to give a n00b like me a hand. I'll check out the link and see what comes up.

ryanlhjess
May 20th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Well, it seems that those fixes, are for KDE 4, im using a standard
gnome that comes with Ubuntu 9.04.

ryanlhjess
May 20th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I am now trying to reinstall the driver with envy, see if that does anything. If that doesn't work then I'm going to try downgrading the driver. I'll tell you how that works.

ryanlhjess
May 20th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Progress?

Well I reinstalled the driver, now my secondary screen has a two blank bars at the top and bottom where the task bars are.

Im going to try downgrading the driver.