PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Thank YOU!!!! & Q 4 Best Emulator for Visual Studio & SAS --- Thank you!!!!!!

Fatman22
May 20th, 2009, 10:13 PM
First of all, THANK you!!!!! Everyone!

WICD Rocks!

I have just given my ex-OS the Axe! I managed to install Ubuntu 8.10 on my third attempt with no issue.

Dell D600

P-M 1.6 gig
160 HD
BCM43xx (Dammit- anyways)

My New Question is what is the best emulator for SAS 9.0 and Visual Studio Professional?

(The material below is not important in answering the q)
I am just learning C, I tried python (didn't like the CLI or operators [no good rationale, Im just a bit noob] and I'm halfway between deciding to devote a ridiculous amount of time to becoming a calculus & algorithm expert so I can lay the SMacK Down with Lisp.

I installed while connected to a Linksys router and this caused 300 updates to download on install, this effectively caused my computer to work PERFECTLY with ubuntu. Once I booted in, I did the "sudo apt-get" thingy for wicd and it was on like donkey kong! "Hello Ubuntu!"

Previously, After running live cd, and trying ndis wrapper, i screwed up the orginal wireless driver somehow.

On second attempt, I wiped HD,
installed windows first,
Then Ubuntu from Boot but lost the boot loader due a power failuer (wtf -when I get SAS installed have to figure out the probability of that - where are my boot disks!!!)

Well, again, thank you everyone!

Long Live Ubuntu!!!!
Hip Hip Horaay!

Now lets have some Wine and play a few games (-:

Relysis
May 20th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Glad you got it working, even with problems that confuse me. Intrepid is fantastic. For Visual Studio, Wine won't be of much use (check WineHQ). I would give virtualbox a go. As for SAS, it is finnicky on any OS, as I'm sure you know, but your best bet would be to get the native linux discs for the install. Even though SAS linux support isn't amazing, with a few tweaks you can get it working.

doas777
May 20th, 2009, 11:05 PM
well monodevelop is the IDE of choice for the mono stack (an OSS port of the .net framework). I haven't found it to be a replacement for visual studio yet, but the last release (2.0) brought step-thru debugging, which had been a previously been a deal breaker for me. I have had some luck running it in virtual machines as Relysis said.