PDA

View Full Version : Beware of Future Shop credit cards

blastus
May 20th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Many many years ago I had a Future Shop credit card. I used it for one purchase, paid it off entirely the next month, then had Future Shop cancel the card. I owed nothing on the card so the account was in good standing. They wanted me to bring in the card otherwise they couldn't cancel it but I told them I wasn't going to waste my time turning in the card that I was just going to destroy it.

Over the next few months I was still getting statements in the mail--all having a balance of $0. After a few more phone calls to the Future Shop Credit Center they assured me the card was canceled. Again they wanted me to return the card but I told them by now it was probably scattered across some land fill in the city here. The statements finally stopped arriving in the mail.

Just recently, I looked at my credit report and the stupid Future Shop credit card is listed as active. This card also had a very high credit limit so it's not like it was just a thousand or two. Future Shop has no record of anything and they don't even know who the issuer was. Nobody works at the Future Shop Credit Center. Other phone numbers I was given by a store manager were either not in service or the person on the phone simply had no idea what I was talking about.

So I finally called TransUnion to start an investigation so get this stupid Future Shop credit card canceled. This is so dumb, I can't believe you have to start an investigation for something like this.

logos34
May 20th, 2009, 09:17 PM
woe, I'd hate that hanging over my head...An active credit card with $$$ limit just waiting to be stolen and used by some criminal

blastus
May 20th, 2009, 09:27 PM
woe, I'd hate that hanging over my head...An active credit card with $$$ limit just waiting to be stolen and used by some criminal

Yeah it was a lot, just under $10,000. When I made the original purchase the manager said that he had never seen anyone get that kind of credit before. He said it is usually a few thousand at the very most. I remember the only option to pay it off was to pay cash at the store--it was a big inconvenience and the main reason why I wanted it canceled in the first place.