PDA

View Full Version : Final exam Speech

kylepotts
May 20th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Hey guys I am a freshmen in High school and I am taking a speech class, and for my final speech we could choose any subject we want. So I chose Linux. I know I am going to bore the class, but still it will be cool to educate them huh?

Anyway, I need a visual aid for them. I was thinking just showing them my laptop which run Ubuntu, and passing out Live cd's to all the students.

What else do you think I should use for a visual aid.

baseface
May 20th, 2009, 05:10 PM
maybe u should use a projector...?
good luck with that though.

lovinglinux
May 20th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Using a projector would be almost essential to get their attention. It is kind of boring to look at someone demonstrating stuff on a small screen.

Do you have a TV card with remote?

You could setup the remote to activate several compiz features. For example I rotate the cube from the remote to check some stuff while playing videos on full screen. You could open media files and other programs on different desktops using the compiz "Place Windows" plugins and switch desktop using different effects while making your presentation.

You could also run Windows inside a Virtualbox. If you could make Windows crash and give you a BSOD, then would be freaking cool :)

Another thing that you could also do is to log on the Ubuntu IRC channel and select a couple of questions from the other students to ask to the community. This will give them an idea how the community works and how important it is. You could also create a thread on "Absolute Beginner Talk" forum and invite your school mates to join and ask questions later.

benj1
May 20th, 2009, 07:05 PM
you can request cds from canonical, you can request more than one.
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu
it takes a few weeks, depends on how much time you have

hatalar205
May 20th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Hey guys I am a freshmen in High school and I am taking a speech class, and for my final speech we could choose any subject we want. So I chose Linux. I know I am going to bore the class, but still it will be cool to educate them huh?

Anyway, I need a visual aid for them. I was thinking just showing them my laptop which run Ubuntu, and passing out Live cd's to all the students.

What else do you think I should use for a visual aid.

Here is a strange idea.
While showing the linux programs, show them the prices of alternatives on Windows. For example, while showing openoffice, tell or show them on a large paper the price of Windows Office 2007 (nearly 450$). You can make a research on the internet for it. And at last you can show or tell the total amount (nearly 2000$).
A list:
Wista ..... Ubuntu 0$
Office 2007 ...... Openoffice 3.0 0$
Photoshop ..... Gimp 0$
Coreldraw .... Inkscape 0$
Wista community help ..... Ubuntu community help 0$

kylepotts
May 20th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Yea I was planning to hook up the laptop to the projector.

Thanks for all the great ideas.

RealG187
May 22nd, 2009, 02:45 AM
Why would you want to do this? Why would you need Wine to run IE in virtual box, can't you just install virtual box and then install XP and it just comes with IE.

edit- opps wrong thread, sorry
btw i cannot use the shift button so that's why i am not using caps. details (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1167432)