PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] How to disable Jaunty notifications or make them close automaticaly?

rrwo
May 20th, 2009, 11:45 AM
The notifications in Jaunty are really annoying: when I resume my laptop, there is a notification about the wireless being disconnected (presumably from when I shut the laptop down). Worse, it doesn't close automatically.

Similar for battery is charged notification: I want it to go away on its own after a few seconds.

How do configure notifications so that they close by themselves?

Ausmosis
May 20th, 2009, 12:05 PM
The notifications in Jaunty are really annoying: when I resume my laptop, there is a notification about the wireless being disconnected (presumably from when I shut the laptop down). Worse, it doesn't close automatically.

Similar for battery is charged notification: I want it to go away on its own after a few seconds.

How do configure notifications so that they close by themselves?

You can get rid of the notifications which is what I did. Your notifications will then revert back to the way it was in previous versions prior to Jaunty. I hated the new notification system because you can't configure it. Apparently this option will come in the next version of Ubuntu but how configurable I don't know.

If you want to delete the current notifications then simply type the following in a terminal:

sudo apt-get remove notify-osd

Brandon Williams
May 20th, 2009, 03:17 PM
There are some packages that depend on 'notification-daemon', which is provided by notify-osd. The two on my xubuntu system are update-notifier and gnome-power-manager, both of which are recommended by xubuntu-desktop. If you want to get rid of notify-osd, then you'll also need to remove any of its dependencies. If you don't want to lose the dependent components, then I suggest you install either notification-daemon or xfce4-notifyd as a replacement for notify-osd.

rrwo
May 20th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Two solutions: to disable notifications, use

cd /usr/share/dbus-1/services/
sudo mv org.freedesktop.Notifications.service org.freedesktop.Notifications.service.disabled
rather than uninstalling them and dealing with dependency issues;
or you can try configuring them. Since I'm using Xfce,

xfce4-notifyd-config
does the trick. It supposedly defaulted to disappear after 10 seconds, but running the configuration seemed to actually make it use that setting.

richard.e.morton
September 29th, 2009, 08:07 PM
nope; on Karmic that didn't work. xcfe4-notify-config is not installed.

I have also removed notify-osd (but not rebooted) and it is still there.

I am using the system as a mythtv-frontend and the popups occur when mythtv changes the volume - but myth already has a osd so it isnt needed. any ideas to get rid of the XCFE / XUBUNTU OSD?

thanks

R

bagy
October 4th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Go to Settings --> Session and startup Application Autostart tab and uncheck xfce4-tips

gchatzim
March 22nd, 2010, 09:26 PM
I could not disable the notifications by renaming the files in the dbus-1/services folder.
I am on karmic koala. any suggestions?