PDA

View Full Version : My guinea pig just died.

SunnyRabbiera
May 20th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Today is a sad day indeed, my guinea pig Charline passed just a few minutes ago.
I got her back around 2006, not sure on the date.
She was a precious little thing, a short tempered, antagonistic little thing but I loved her.
There is not much I am willing to write right now, but being the first animal death in the house it makes it tough.
She was a good animal, always keeping us on our toes and smart as a whip.
She both scared the living crap out of and later befriended one of our cats, Carson.
She was brave, she was not a biter, and she is irreplaceable.
Let me show off a pic of her in memory, I know not Ubuntu related or involving community fun but again something I needed off my chest...

Here is a pic of her and Carson:

rudenko_ruslan
May 20th, 2009, 09:07 AM
That's extremely sad :(

Ms_Angel_D
May 20th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I'm sorry, it can be hard losing a pet. :sad:

skymera
May 20th, 2009, 09:45 AM
3 years. That's not a bad run.

Call then next one Pudding :)

Sef
May 20th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Sorry to hear that Sunny. :(

gnomeuser
May 20th, 2009, 10:40 AM
My sister recently had to have one of her guinea pigs put to sleep, it had gotten cancer and was in terrible pain so it was the merciful thing to do.

I never thought there was much personality in them till my sister had to move to a place where they couldn't keep hers so I took care of them for a year.

Clever little girls, they figured out who in the family to beg for food at which times in the day. I was always very impressed with that, they obviously could detect who was getting up based on where in the house there was noise and the way we walked since they could see us as they were in the kitchen.

They must also have a good sense of time as they never begged my dad for food in the morning since they knew that wouldn't get them anything, however after he made dinner they learned that there might be some salad leftover and then they would beg.

Regardless, they are lovable little animals. My thoughts go out to you, I know it is hard to lose a member of the family.

kostkon
May 20th, 2009, 10:44 AM
My condolences.

monsterstack
May 20th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Ugh. I hated guinea pigs for years when I was a kid. They always die just after you manage to form some sort of emotional attachment with them. It's as if they plan it. Bad luck for you. Get a dog instead.

glotz
May 20th, 2009, 11:15 AM
That's what pets eventually do, shouldn't surprise you too much... :roll:

beniwtv
May 20th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Having had three guinea pigs in the past when I was little, I really know how one feels if they die :(

Sorry for your loss.

SunnyRabbiera
May 20th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Ugh. I hated guinea pigs for years when I was a kid. They always die just after you manage to form some sort of emotional attachment with them. It's as if they plan it. Bad luck for you. Get a dog instead.

That's what pets eventually do, shouldn't surprise you too much... :roll:

Very unhelpful hope you know.
Look this animal was a member of the family, we cared for her and loved her like she was a dog or another person for that matter.
Is it wrong to love such an animal?
If it is then fine, but still dont have to be a bunch of jerks about it.

monsterstack
May 20th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Very unhelpful hope you know.
Look this animal was a member of the family, we cared for her and loved her like she was a dog or another person for that matter.
Is it wrong to love such an animal?
If it is then fine, but still dont have to be a bunch of jerks about it.

I was being very genuine, y'know. I had a whole bunch of guinea pigs when I was a kid, and what do you know, they all died. So I got a dog instead. Best thing I ever did.

SunnyRabbiera
May 20th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I was being very genuine, y'know. I had a whole bunch of guinea pigs when I was a kid, and what do you know, they all died. So I got a dog instead. Best thing I ever did.

Well I do have cats, I am not a dog person though one of my cats acts like a dog (he rolls over, he licks your feet and face, he even plays fetch.)

nolliecrooked
May 20th, 2009, 12:15 PM
sorry bro. I hope she died peacefully.

SunnyRabbiera
May 20th, 2009, 12:23 PM
sorry bro. I hope she died peacefully.

Thats mam to you actually

xpod
May 20th, 2009, 12:25 PM
We`re considering a Guinea Pig next,or a Rat.We...well,one of our girls to be precise,currently have a Hamster but he`s about 20 months now so he cant have tooo long left now i`d imagine.

She was a big ole looking Guinea Pig though,or just a small cat mabey?

nolliecrooked
May 20th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Thats mam to you actually

sorry MAM :P

collinp
May 20th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Ouch. I have not owned a guinea pig (yet) but I know how it feels to lose a pet :(.

jespdj
May 20th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Sorry for your loss... :cry:

I'm allergic to guinea pigs. If I'm near them for a few minutes, my eyes get red and swollen and I start to sneeze. My parents had two guinea pigs when I was a baby, maybe I got the allergy from them.

issih
May 20th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Sorry to hear that, losing a pet can hurt a lot :(

Try to be content that you gave her a good life...its not much consolation, but it is at least something.

cmay
May 20th, 2009, 01:45 PM
sorry to hear that.

i wish for you that you could find a new pet as i know from having lost a dog once its the best thing to just get a new pet as soon as possible.

i hate loosing animals as i love my dog very much and all other animals i had i also get attached to.

a few month ago my dog got sick and would have died unless i spend a lot of money for an operation whihc i did even it was same amount as two month income and the dog i had for ten years wich makes it around to be some where between elleven or twelve years old.

its hard to loose a animal and i hope you do consider getting a new one. not that it can ever be the same but it helps to take the mind of the loss somehow.

best regards cmay

pwnst*r
May 20th, 2009, 02:15 PM
sorry to hear that.

i wish for you that you could find a new pet as i know from having lost a dog once its the best thing to just get a new pet as soon as possible.

no, that's the worst thing. grieving is a natural process and shouldn't replaced or "made better by" getting another pet as soon as possible.

chucky chuckaluck
May 20th, 2009, 02:35 PM
the worst things that ever happened to me are my cats dying. still, a price well worth paying for the joys of having had them as part of my life.

cmay
May 20th, 2009, 02:41 PM
no, that's the worst thing. grieving is a natural process and shouldn't replaced or "made better by" getting another pet as soon as possible.

i did not mean it exactly that way. off course grief should not be replaced or repressed but it is however a good idea to get a new pet as soon as possible . not to make anything better but to have a new pet will take some time and getting the right one and it is not that i mean one should rush out and get a new pet wihtout thinking about first.

the thing is that i cant really explain why i advise to get a new peet as soon as possible other than i just heard many more times people saying that after loosing their pet and getting a new one wiht in fourteen days was a good thing to do

one thing i think could be the reasons is that too some people the time after loosing a pet is a special time where i think for some reason that the new pet and owner maybe connetct in a another way .

to me that was certaibnly true but i was a kid back then when we had to put our old dog too sleep so what is in memory of own experience is off course not the same as how it is when your suddenly a grown up the age of 37 like i am now.

i would still if i should have a new dog in a couple of years go find one as fast as i could but not whitout out making sure i could live with the decision for many years into the future.

i hope that sunnyrabberia interpretates my post as a supportive and wellment suggestion based on what i would have maybe most likely would have done myself and more along the lines of an expression of empathy than a attemt to make the sadness go away as fast as possble by rushing out to the pet store and getting a new pet.
that was not my intention to make it sound like that at all.
i am sorry if it came out that way too.

hanzomon4
May 20th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Awww.. it looks so fat and cute, I want one..

Sorry for your loss

koleoptero
May 20th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Sorry for your loss. :( Just think of the good times you had together.

BTW it didn't die of pig flu I hope :P

pwnst*r
May 20th, 2009, 04:58 PM
i did not mean it exactly that way. off course grief should not be replaced or repressed but it is however a good idea to get a new pet as soon as possible . not to make anything better but to have a new pet will take some time and getting the right one and it is not that i mean one should rush out and get a new pet wihtout thinking about first.

the thing is that i cant really explain why i advise to get a new peet as soon as possible other than i just heard many more times people saying that after loosing their pet and getting a new one wiht in fourteen days was a good thing to do

one thing i think could be the reasons is that too some people the time after loosing a pet is a special time where i think for some reason that the new pet and owner maybe connetct in a another way .

to me that was certaibnly true but i was a kid back then when we had to put our old dog too sleep so what is in memory of own experience is off course not the same as how it is when your suddenly a grown up the age of 37 like i am now.

i would still if i should have a new dog in a couple of years go find one as fast as i could but not whitout out making sure i could live with the decision for many years into the future.

i hope that sunnyrabberia interpretates my post as a supportive and wellment suggestion based on what i would have maybe most likely would have done myself and more along the lines of an expression of empathy than a attemt to make the sadness go away as fast as possble by rushing out to the pet store and getting a new pet.
that was not my intention to make it sound like that at all.
i am sorry if it came out that way too.

i still don't agree with this. and what's with this 14 days rubbish? who came up with that guideline?

b@sh_n3rd
May 20th, 2009, 05:06 PM
That guinea pig is soo cute...my deepest sympathies..I know what it's like too...ok I haven't really lost a pet like that, I still have a dog...but i love her so much if something happened to her i'd be really upset..and i love all animals...anyways, ur story nearly got me..err.."teary" :D...okay okay I'm guy...but a softie :D...for animals at least...especially dogs!!...if i see a dog err..dead, i'll cry...:D

OK, i'll confess...when i look at the pic my eyes start tearing..it's just too cute...the cat too...