PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] How to redcue No. of char's displayed on desktop?

alfoldem
May 20th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Hi all,

Hoping someone can help shed some light on this.
Im fairly new to Linux and have been using Ubuntu 8.04 for around 2 months - overall really pleased to have made the switch from Windows!

One minor point that is annoying me is how the file names are displayed on my desktop.
If i save or download a file or folder to my desktop the entire file name is displayed beneath the icon
e.g. filenameisreallyreallyreallylong.doc

I would like to display less char's
e.g. filenameis...
this is how my files were handled by default in windows.

The reason for this is the alignment of files / folders on my desktop seems to be affected as some names are longer than others.

Is there a way to specify or restrict the number char's displayed in the file name?

Any help appreciated.

Minsky
May 20th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I'm using Intrepid 8.10 but the procedure should be the same. Open a terminal window and type gconf-editor. In the left hand pane of the window that opens double click on apps, scroll down and double click on nautilus. Select icon_view, this will display a list of keys in the large right hand pane.

Right click on text_ellipsis_limit and select Edit Key.... In the small window that opens, click on the value in the large box (I think 3 is the default value), and then click on Edit. Enter 1 as the value, then click OK and OK again. Your filenames will be truncated to fit on one line. I've got no idea how to further restrict the length of the filename. Hope this helps.