PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DOSbox

nickyn
May 20th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Does anyone know where I could locate a DOSbox that would wourk with Ubuntu Linux? On the DOSbox website, there is a download for Gentoo Linux...would that work on Ubuntu?
Or does anyone know of another DOS emulator, or Sierra game emulator I could download? (I've got a hankering to play some games from my childhood.)

Thanks!

Kevbert
May 20th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Please take a look at this. (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DOSBox)

nickyn
May 20th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Oh, thank you!

nickyn
May 20th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Okay, so, I'm going to be a bother again, and I'm terribly sorry. I did all the repository stuff and installed the DOSbox...but it won't let me create a C:/
I type this in, like the instructions say:

nicky@nicky-laptop:~$ mkdir ~/dos/c
And it says to me:

mkdir: cannot create directory `/home/nicky/dos/c': No such file or directory
So then, I make a file there, and it says:

mkdir: cannot create directory `/home/nicky/dos/c': File exists

I don't know what to do with this. I believe I might be in over my head...maybe.

Kevbert
May 20th, 2009, 11:57 AM
In terminal, please try

rm ~/dos/c
mkdir ~/dos
cd dos
mkdir c
that will make a directory /home/nicky/dos/c
If you have any further questions please ask.

nickyn
May 21st, 2009, 03:15 AM
Thank you! I got it to work...one question, though, do I have to mount the C: everytime I use DOSbox, or will it stay mounted and I will only have to type C: in? Thanks!

Kevbert
May 21st, 2009, 07:44 AM
As far as I know you have to do this each time you run DOSbox, it may be possible to get around this with a bash script (but I'm not sure how to do this).
The other thing you may want to do is run either ClamAv or BitDefender regularly as you may find you get a few Windows/DOS viruses (especially if you download games from the web). These viruses will only affect any Windows/DOS files that you have on the PC and not any Linux files. This is very important to do if you use shared partitions for data and are dual booting with any version of Windows.

rCXer
May 21st, 2009, 08:21 AM
Thank you! I got it to work...one question, though, do I have to mount the C: everytime I use DOSbox, or will it stay mounted and I will only have to type C: in? Thanks!

DOSBox can automatically mount drives at startup. To do this you have to create a configuration file.

Run DOSBox and type the following into its prompt...

config -writeconf dosbox.conf

This will create a configuration file, dosbox.conf, in /home/nicky/. Open dosbox.conf, scroll down the bottom and add the following as shown in red...

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
mount c "/home/nicky/dos/c"
c:

Now DOSBox will always mount c as your folder and switch to it.

nickyn
May 27th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Thanks you two, that was really helpful!