PDA

View Full Version : Space Needed for OS

Geffers
May 20th, 2009, 06:51 AM
I have a new Acer netbook, 16GB SSD with Linpus installed.

I would like to install URM on removable media, such as SD card, so am wondering what size media I need.

I appreciate to test a live version I only need about a 1GB device but I am looking to run it from the SD card or USB key.

Geffers

Chemical Imbalance
May 20th, 2009, 07:01 AM
I have a new Acer netbook, 16GB SSD with Linpus installed.

I would like to install URM on removable media, such as SD card, so am wondering what size media I need.

I appreciate to test a live version I only need about a 1GB device but I am looking to run it from the SD card or USB key.

Geffers
Linpus is an atrocious name for a distro ;)
Not to mention it is a horrible distro :D

Anyways, you will need at least a 4gb sd card or flash drive.
After install, it will usually take up about 3.3 gb or so with updates and no extra applications.

I'd go with 8 gb though.

Geffers
May 21st, 2009, 06:57 AM
Linpus is an atrocious name for a distro ;)
Not to mention it is a horrible distro :D

Anyways, you will need at least a 4gb sd card or flash drive.
After install, it will usually take up about 3.3 gb or so with updates and no extra applications.

I'd go with 8 gb though.

Thanks for info, I have a Toshiba 8GB USB stick already but think the SD cards are faster so was considering that.

Re you reference about Linpus, I'm happy to give it a go to get a bit of experience with RPMs but some of my programs are well out of date :(

Ubuntu I use on my desktop and I know it works fine.

Geffers

toolfan2k4
June 8th, 2009, 08:58 AM
You could also do it with one gig in live mode...runs slow that way though.

Geffers
June 8th, 2009, 03:54 PM
You could also do it with one gig in live mode...runs slow that way though.

Live is fine for a trial but losing settings is annoying plus, the SD card is a lot neater than a USB key sticking out of the side ;)

Geffers