PDA

View Full Version : I want to dual boot, but with what?

DoeRayMe
January 13th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Please could some people give opinions on the distrobutions in the poll

thanks

BWF89
January 13th, 2006, 02:25 AM
If your useing Linux as your primary OS why bother useing another Linux?

Why not be bold and try something like GNU-Darwin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU-Darwin) or a BSD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD#Open_source_BSD_derivatives)?

DoeRayMe
January 13th, 2006, 02:34 AM
i would but dont know if my USB DSL Modem would work, eciadsl BSD version is in the works at the moment, but still beta

not sure if knet would work on a BSD

Mr_Grieves
January 13th, 2006, 03:18 AM
I'd recommend FreeBSD if you want a BSD dialect. It's a neat OS :)

GreyFox503
January 13th, 2006, 07:22 AM
In a coincidence, I recently tried a Gentoo install, and that's where I am now while reading your post!

The idea behind it is pretty cool, and it has worked pretty well for me so far. It really does make my computer go faster. I did an installation from stage one, which I would recommend. It was actually very easy to do, I just have to spend about 4 additional hours compiling before I reached stage three.

To compile my whole system (including GNOME) took about 9-10 hours on an Athlon XP 2400+ @ 2Ghz, 1 GB of RAM.

mstlyevil
January 13th, 2006, 07:24 AM
I have to agree with the BSD suggestion. Why dual boot Linux when you could dual boot with BSD and learn about both systems in the process.

briancurtin
January 13th, 2006, 07:40 AM
what is your purpose for dual booting anyways? what are you attempting to get out of it?

towsonu2003
January 13th, 2006, 08:43 AM
triple boot *BSD + Ubuntu + Gentoo

you'll learn a new OS + have a ~newbie friendly distro + a distro to learn 'compiling' everything...

Personally, I'd substitue Slackware with Gentoo though... good luck

truthfatal
January 13th, 2006, 09:23 AM
I'd suggest gentoo -- just for the joy of installing it.

Ubuntu -- Gentoo (don't install a GUI though. if you're going to learn you may as well learn.) :P

I haven't tried a BSD yet, otherwise I'd suggest that too, just for the learning experience.

AMD64_N_Linux
January 13th, 2006, 11:01 AM
"If your useing Linux as your primary OS why bother useing another Linux?"

For the fun of it..... Something to do.

At one time, and only for a very short while, I was booting Windows 98SE, Windows XP, Redhat 7.2, Mandrake 8, Slackware, FreeBSD, BEOS, FreeDOS, and MS DOS.

Why ? Just to take to LAN parties to show how versitale a computer could be. Windows users were always astonished, MAC users were envious, and Linux users were " big deal ".....

Till I showed the Linux users the fun in watching the expressions of the Windows users.

DoeRayMe
January 13th, 2006, 06:29 PM
i like the idea of triple booting, gonna be Kubuntu *Main*, Gentoo *Second* and a BSD for *Third* ;)

Lord Illidan
January 13th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I can understand the logic of dual booting Ubuntu and Windows, or Ubuntu and BSD or even Ubuntu and Gentoo, but Ubuntu and Mepis?? Both are almost identical!

towsonu2003
January 13th, 2006, 07:23 PM
At one time, and only for a very short while, I was booting Windows 98SE, Windows XP, Redhat 7.2, Mandrake 8, Slackware, FreeBSD, BEOS, FreeDOS, and MS DOS.

that's a big hard disk ;) should have been hard to sync all of them...

AMD64_N_Linux
January 14th, 2006, 12:24 AM
that's a big hard disk ;) should have been hard to sync all of them...

NO, that was 3 hard disk, and a CD Rom, booting all of the OSs with XOSL on the MBR of the first disk.

Anyone using linux really should check it out.

http://www2.arnes.si/~fkomar/xosl.org/

BTW, For dual booting, I have and will continue to use XOSL. I always get pisssed off when an install overwrites XOSL, but it is always as simple as rebootinng with a floppy, cd now, and tell XOSL to retake the MBR. IT can and will do so. Even a new install of Windows XP gets straightend out damn fast.

jc87
January 14th, 2006, 12:44 AM
"If your useing Linux as your primary OS why bother useing another Linux?"

For the fun of it..... Something to do.

Why ? Just to take to LAN parties to show how versitale a computer could be. Windows users were always astonished, MAC users were envious, and Linux users were " big deal ".....

Till I showed the Linux users the fun in watching the expressions of the Windows users.

You are now my idol;) , do you mind i make you an altar?

AMD64_N_Linux
January 14th, 2006, 12:51 AM
You are now my idol;) , do you mind i make you an altar?

No you may not ;).

But you can make one for Samwise Gamgee.

The most beloved, and one of the least honored characters from the LOTRs. But I guess that is why Samwise is so loved, he is so unprotentious, yet possesses the greatest character (personality) of any character (person) in the LOTR.:razz: