PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Netbook Remix Vs Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty

donniezazen
May 20th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Hi all,

I just got my lenovo ideapad s10e. I have tried both UNR and Jaunty. I find Jaunty more stable but battery life is good in UNR. Can any one tell me which one is the best for Netbooks or both are essentially same?

I downloaded the UNR from Ubuntu.com and cd release website and i found that both files have error. MD5sum is same but when i install it to my USB and run cd check after booting it give me 1 error.

Thanks,
SK

Warpnow
May 20th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Using a netbook myself I find I get the best battery life by doing a command line install followed by a lightweight DE install (lxde, fluxbox, fvwm-crystal, ect).

donniezazen
May 20th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Using a netbook myself I find I get the best battery life by doing a command line install followed by a lightweight DE install (lxde, fluxbox, fvwm-crystal, ect).

Hi,

1.Installation is a one time process. How can a command line
installation affect the battery performance in future usage?

2.Do light weight DEs have good looks? Looks is a very important factor to me.

Thanks,
SK.

kevin11951
May 20th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Hi,

Thanks,
SK.

lxde with lxlauncher is what ive been using...

myusername
May 20th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Hi,

Thanks,
SK.

it takes out stuff you don't need (useless daemons, apps, etc.). therefore your laptop doesn't use precious energy trying to run these things when you don't need them

donniezazen
May 20th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Is UNR not a light weight distro?

Thanks,
SK.

ugm6hr
May 20th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Is UNR not a light weight distro?

No. It is basically a full Ubuntu, with a few extras to keep the netbook launcher running. So it may well be heavier than a standard Ubuntu. It certainly has a higher RAM requirement.

SunnyRabbiera
May 20th, 2009, 07:16 AM
It depends, sometimes you use command line to tweak power settings

Looks actually should be last priority if you use a lightweight system, fancy graphics can deplete battery life real fast.
But otherwise LXDE seems to be quite good looking for what it is.
No fancy effects though

ugm6hr
May 20th, 2009, 07:29 AM

Lightweight + Looks is available, but uncommon.

I think Enlightenment is perhaps top of the list (but I think is still beta), and FVWM-Crystal can be configured to look impressive (the distro Austrumi looks good), but I couldn't work out how to replicate that appearance from a default FVWM.

LXDE has a clean appearance, and everything works well. Nothing fancy though; simple like XP.

jespdj
May 20th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I have Jaunty netbook remix on my Dell Mini 9, and I like the launcher and other adaptations for small screens a lot.

So, according to me, Netbook Remix is a very nice version of Ubuntu for netbooks.

Note that UNR is not that much different from the regular Ubuntu - it's exactly the same OS, but with a few diffent packages installed. There's not a major difference under the hood.

So it may well be heavier than a standard Ubuntu. It certainly has a higher RAM requirement.
Please don't create rumours like this unless you have some independently verifyable proof. I don't think UNR has a higher RAM requirement than regular Ubuntu.

drawkcab
May 20th, 2009, 07:53 PM
If you own an eeepc, there's always eeebuntu 3.0 which is now based on jaunty.

Right now they are only offering the base install which has a kernel optimized for the eeepcs but shortly they will offer a standard and nebook remix. There is even talk that they will offer a fourth version that employs lxde.

Btw, eeebuntu 2.0 is based on ubuntu 8.10 and is still available.