PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone.

Calranthe
January 13th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Well the stage is set, tomorrow my server of ultimate power arrives and my first install of Ubuntu shall be attempted.

Being of the "Honestly tell me do we REALLY need to eat food this week" variety, i've been saving up for a server to run the various games I run on the net, Mainly a mud.

7 months of saving has = my machine of "thats sick" "why" "you have that and your running a text based online game on it" "my socks smell"

A reconditioned Compaq (yes I know mother I swore i'd never buy a compaq after the "incident")

A compaq *mutters* proliant 8500 rack mount server. 60kg of loveliness
8 (eight) Xeon 550 mhz 2mb cache processors.(pIII)
4096mb Ram
Compaq Smart Array 3200 Controller with 56MB cache and Battery backup.
2x 36GB Hot Plug HDD`s scsi
2 psu's redundant.

I will be biting my nails off tomorrow waiting for it to arrive, then spend most of the day trying to work out how the hell to do everything.

I wonder if it has a shiny button, a RED shiny button.

*twitches and thinks of his preciousssss*
:-\"

Mr_Grieves
January 13th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Hahaha.. I guess you checked if there was Linux/Ubuntu support for you're hardware.. before you bought this little thing, ehehe. :D

Calranthe
January 13th, 2006, 08:44 AM
No not really what would be the fun in that, if all else fails it will make a pretty impressive table weight.

:)

Seriously though it works with Mandrake and redhat and from my test of Ubuntu on my other pc's and how easily it installed them (far quicker and more compatible than mandrake and redhat, I have no worries)

hmm

Maybe a few

*grins*

poofyhairguy
January 13th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Good luck. Sounds really fun.

towsonu2003
January 13th, 2006, 09:17 AM
7 months of saving has = my machine of "thats sick" "why" "you have that and your running a text based online game on it" "my socks smell"

hahahaha

I guess you checked if there was Linux/Ubuntu support for you're hardware
don't do that, you'll ruin his/her inspiration ;)

Maybe a few
*grins*
and you already did hehehe

Calranthe
January 13th, 2006, 10:31 AM
*waits unpatiently for the delivery person*

Hmm I'm setting up a new server on friday 13th.

I laugh in the face of danger,

Traveling through the murkey depths of hell, the putrid smell of corruption and decay otherwise known as the Proliant 8500 server manual revision 2e.

Life is like a box of grenades.

I could be reading the manual, I could be reading the guides, no that would be too easy, too civil, instead I shall play with smilies and contemplate the existence of a freshly ironed black cotton t-shirt.

AMD64_N_Linux
January 13th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Good Luck.

And dont sweat the Friday the 13th thing. I always have good luck on Friday the 13th (s).

Met my wife on a F13th, 27 years ago.

Calranthe
January 13th, 2006, 04:25 PM
OKay server arrived a little trouble getting it into the house, 110lbs and the lorry---LORRY couldn't get down the side streets.
Am currently dragging it across the livingroom floor decided it won't go on a desk or table of any kind it is just too heavy,once in place i will boot it up and see if it works.. I am a little how can I put this, intimidated by the monster... pic of it as i got it in the house.

http://www.deviantedge.org/ns.JPG

cfgtech
March 29th, 2007, 11:22 AM
YES! The mighty 8500 I have the exact same setup minus the Array controller, I'm using the built in one.How did your installation go ?I installed Win2k Adv and tried to do a dual boot which I've done before everything went smooth but at the time of boot I got some array errors I think?Win2k came up ok.But I really want to install Ubuntu server
Will look at it later to see what up.

mips
March 29th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Those servers are *&%)(*&$ noisy to say the least. Only place for it would be the garage.

I would start by going to the compaq/hp website and getting all the latest firmware/bios for the MB, Raid controller etc. Then update it. Next you try and install ubuntu.

cfgtech
March 30th, 2007, 10:17 AM
That sounds like a plan
they are noisy as heck but that noise is music and the sound of Power
Right now I'm just using it as a lab server

cfgtech
March 30th, 2007, 03:14 PM
I can't wait to try it out, I found a couple of things that might work since it's a common issue
I will post when I succeed.Not sure how the Bios will like it since I have to choose my OS
I guess I can change it back and forth ? This will be a dual boot ..

mips
March 30th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Also check the debian website & forums if you get stuck