PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from 7.10 Gutsy to 9.04 Jaunty??

lightstream
May 19th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I have an old machine which I've not upgraded since Gutsy Gibbon (7.10).

Is there a way to upgrade directly to 9.04 rather than having to upgrade to 8.04, then to 8.10, then finally to 9.04 which would take forever + 1 day??

I do have a 9.04 live CD, so I could just reformat, but I would prefer to keep all the files which are on this machine. However I don't think I have the patience to do three upgrades in a row!!!

Vrekk
May 19th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Im sorry but I don't think u can go directly form 7.10 to 9.04 without going though the 8.* series. The only way that i can think of would be to create a septate /home partition via http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome and do a clean install with ur files on the /home.

lightstream
May 20th, 2009, 12:01 AM
It's what I feared. Linux does tend to use the whole disk which does mean it's not a good idea to install on top of an existing installation.

Oh well, I'll just have to vapourise it all - there's nothing important on this machine, I can copy all the files back from other machines over the network. It'll be slow, but probably about the same as creating a new partition and moving files to that. I prefer to keep my disk unpartitioned where possible - it avoids the situation where one partition gets stuffed full while another still has loads of room.

Thanks for the suggestion though anyway!

Sef
May 20th, 2009, 12:15 AM
It's what I feared. Linux does tend to use the whole disk which does mean it's not a good idea to install on top of an existing installation.

That is the default, but you can manually partition it, so it uses only a part of the hard drive for Ubuntu.

lightstream
May 20th, 2009, 01:35 AM
That is the default, but you can manually partition it, so it uses only a part of the hard drive for Ubuntu.

yes, sure, but I was really thinking of the way in some other operating systems, you can just delete a single OS directory and then reinstall leaving the rest of the disk as-is.

just sayin' is all 8-)

sports fan Matt
May 20th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Jusst out of curiosity, how much RAM does the pc have? there are different stages of "old" in computers these days

lightstream
May 20th, 2009, 10:07 AM
well in fact it's the hard disk itself which is 'old', dating from Gutsy so 18 months!

The computer itself is fairly new, but it's a low power VIA Eden thing - 1 GHz C7 x86 CPU, fanless ie silent, and also v low power consumption (around 16 W under load).

Oh forgot to mention - 1 Gb of RAM (the maximum the CPU supports)