PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to upgrade to Ubuntu 8.10 32-bit from 8.04

2048Megabytes
May 19th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Is there anyway you can upgrade your desktop personal computer from Ubuntu 8.04 32-bit to Ubuntu 8.10 32-bit without having to wipe out your hard drive?

Also, I just found out that the hard drive I installed Ubuntu 8.04 is about 70 gigabytes in size but only has about a 40 gigabyte partition. Is there any easy way to expand the partition?

Sub101
May 19th, 2009, 10:28 PM
You can update Ubuntu using the Update Manager, an option should appear at the top of the window.

And I believe using a Live CD you can increase the size of your partitions using GParted.

2048Megabytes
May 19th, 2009, 10:32 PM
You can update Ubuntu using the Update Manager, an option should appear at the top of the window.

The option isn't there to upgrade to Ubuntu 8.10 in update manager, I looked already.

Where do you get a copy of G-part for Ubuntu?

Mark Phelps
May 20th, 2009, 02:27 PM
The option isn't there to upgrade to Ubuntu 8.10 in update manager, I looked already.

Where do you get a copy of G-part for Ubuntu?
Go to System --> Administration --> Software Sources. Click the Updates tab. Change the selection on the Release Upgrade pulldown to Normal Releases. Close out.

Select Administration --> Update Manager. Should now get a notice at the top that an upgrade is available.

It's GParted, not G-part, and it's available from the distrowatch.com page about 1/3 way down the left side under Latest Distributions.

2048Megabytes
May 28th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the tips Mark. I got it to work. There were a few errors in the file path you gave me. Your tips were good enough for me to figure out though. I corrected the errors below:

Go to System --> Administration --> Software Sources. Click the Updates tab. Change the selection on the Release Upgrade pulldown to Normal Releases. Close out.

Select System --> Administration --> Update Manager. Should now get a notice at the top that an upgrade is available.

Mark Phelps
May 28th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Thanks. Made the corrections you mentioned in my earlier post.