PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for HTML and CSS Editors

AaronRGod
May 19th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Hoy there, gang. I am just getting in to web development, and I am looking for a light weight editor for writing HTML and CSS.

I am sure that experts may tell me to just use a basic text editor, but coming from a programming background, I am used to working with integrated development environments, and I find my self wanting to use indentation for elements, which I obviously can not get from a basic text editor. Of course, I am also aware that indenting like in soft ware programming is not the standard for HTML, but this is just my preference.

So, there is my long winded explanation. Does any one have any suggestions? Of course, I have googled the concept, but since I am new to this field, I really do not know what I am looking for, or what is actually useful.

.nedberg
May 19th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I use Eclipse with Aptana for most of my development. It supports html, php (plug in) and css. With EsFtp you can also upload to a server with an easy key combo.

If I just need to do some small editing I use Kate or Notepad++ (when I am on Windows). I am sure GEdit has got similar capabilities to Kate when it comes to indentation and color coding.

AaronRGod
May 19th, 2009, 05:38 PM
If I just need to do some small editing I use Kate or Notepad++ (when I am on Windows).

I completely forgot to mention that I will be working in both Windows and Ubuntu, depending on if I am traveling while working. Thanks for the suggestions and reminder.

wsonar
May 19th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Gedit is pretty awesome..

in windows notepad ++

Xbehave
May 19th, 2009, 05:47 PM
nano ftw :P
kate can do basic stuff but for WYSIWYG i last used quanta/bluefish (but it was a while ago and bother were adequate but not great)

RiceMonster
May 19th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Just use an editor with syntax hilighting and you're fine. I like vim. An IDE like eclipse seems like a waste of time to me for HTML, because IMO the whole point in one is an integrated compiler and debugger.

Mmmbopdowedop
May 19th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I use gEdit for everything, it's ace, the best text editor i've ever used and just recently (or so it appears recent to my knowledge) they've made a windows version of it downloadable from the gnome.org website.

I've tried Eclipse and various other applications, but gEdit is definately the one for me. :)

Edit: Link for gEdit for Windows: http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win32/gedit/2.26/

Couldn't find it when I just checked on the site. :S

jonabyte
May 19th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I really like Notepad2 for windows and kind of wish there was a Linux version as well.
I have not found one for both, but use gedit for Linux most of the time.

AaronRGod
May 19th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I checked out .nedberg's recommendation of Notepad++ for Windows, and I think that this is what I am looking for. Thank you all for the input, and I will be sure to check out the Linux suggestions when I get back on to my lap top.

.nedberg
May 19th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I checked out .nedberg's recommendation of Notepad++ for Windows, and I think that this is what I am looking for. Thank you all for the input, and I will be sure to check out the Linux suggestions when I get back on to my lap top.

Just letting you know that Notepad++ can be used with Wine on a Linux computer. There are better alternatives for Linux, but it is also good to stick with one editor!

geoken
May 19th, 2009, 08:04 PM
If you like Notepad++ do yourself a favor and check out Komodo Edit.

I used to use Notepad++ but switched to Komodo edit. Komodo seems like a better fit for you because it's cross platform, has more advanced code hinting/code completion and better auto formatting.

It also has better support for editing online files live (aka better FTP support). I like the color picker as well. When you hover your mouse over a hex color code you get a small preview window of the color, if you ctrl+click the color the app spawns a small color picker that lets you change the hex code graphically.

gjoellee
May 19th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I use gedit or "Text Editor" as it is called in the menu. Just change a little in your preferences and suddenly you have Notepad ++

AaronRGod
May 29th, 2009, 03:30 PM
If you like Notepad++ do yourself a favor and check out Komodo Edit.

Mister, you have your self a deal!

Script Warlock
May 29th, 2009, 03:55 PM
i hope sometime in the future adobe provides dreamweaver and flash cs for ubuntu....

binbash
May 29th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I am using Bluefish and it is ok.You may also want to try jedit