PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Java plugin not working with Firefox 3 - Jaunty

paulcressbrook
May 19th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I upgraded recently to Jaunty and then found the Java plugin failed to work with Firefox 3. I have Java 6 installed with Jaunty, so was surprised.
Looking in the .mozilla/plugins directory I found I have a link called libjavaplugin.so which pointed to the correct place - so again it was surprising that the plugin failed to work.
After going all round the houses I finally discovered by using about:config in Firefox, that Firefox 3 expects the java plugin to have the name javaplugin.so - not libjavaplugin.so
Changing the name with the command:

mv libjavaplugin.so javaplugin.so

- in the directory /home/<username>/.mozilla/plugins solved the problem. This is probably a general problem with Ubuntu and Xubuntu Jaunty as well as Kubuntu

kajman
May 19th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks man!

It worked for me and I'm very happy you wrote this post :)
It's been annoying for a while for me.

Der Atlas
May 23rd, 2009, 05:06 AM
So Java plugins seem not be be working ... sites think I don't have Java installed, though I do.

I'm running Kubuntu Jaunty and I don't have this directory. .mozilla/ is empty except for subdirectories 'firefox' and 'extensions', and about:config doesn't give any useful pointers here.

Is my system just configured differenly or have files been lost ? In any case, what should I do ?

Thanks!

jamesstansell
May 25th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Does about:plugins show a java plugin? If so, which sites are not recognizing it?

kajman
May 25th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Here's what I've done:

I've downloaded a binary installer from java.com:

http://www.java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp?locale=en&host=www.java.com:80

(I've chosen the second link from top, "Linux (self-extracting file)")

Then I've moved the binary file to (it doesn't matter much where you unpack it) /usr/local/java and unpacked it.

To do it, you should probably do this in terminal:

cd /usr/local/java
sudo chmod +x jre-6u13-linux-i586.bin
sudo ./jre-6u13-linux-i586.bin

Then proceed with installation.

After that you'll see a new directory /usr/local/java/jre.6.0_13,now do the following:

cd .mozilla/plugins
sudo ln -s /usr/local/java/jre1.6.0_13/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
mv libjavaplugin_oji.so javaplugin.so

And that should do it, just restart firefox and java will work.

jamesstansell
May 28th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Just curious. Is that last step (the mv) required? I haven't used the oji version of the plugin for a while, but when I did I don't think I ever needed to rename the symbolic link.

kajman
May 28th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Well, as paulcressbrook said it is required in 9.04.

jyxll
August 13th, 2009, 11:26 PM
It was not necessary for me to change the name of libjavaplugin_oji.so.

siecoban
September 25th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I have no plugins folder under .mozilla on a fresh Jaunty install. How did you get it there?

nortexoid
February 22nd, 2010, 07:50 PM
This thread looks dead. But I'm using Kubuntu Karmic and I don't have the .mozilla/plugins folder either. And java doesn't work, though it does in Chrome. What's up with that? About:plugins doesn't show java, but it does show a bunch of other plugins (e.g. xine). So where's my plugins folder?