PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I need to downgrade from jaunty to a lower..

qjmoss
May 19th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I'm having problems with jaunty. I'm thinking that if i got back to 8.10 that I will have a better experience. but the only problem is that jaunty was the only release that supported my wireless card out of the box. is there anyway i could save the drivers for my wireless card on to a USB drive or external hard drive and load them after I've unstalled 8.10?

I have no access to a wired connection so it would be difficult for me to install the resricted drivers.

):P

qjmoss
May 19th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I was told that the problem is that I have an Intel chip..

Is there a work around for this?

eldragon
May 19th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I'm having problems with jaunty. I'm thinking that if i got back to 8.10 that I will have a better experience. but the only problem is that jaunty was the only release that supported my wireless card out of the box. is there anyway i could save the drivers for my wireless card on to a USB drive or external hard drive and load them after I've unstalled 8.10?

I have no access to a wired connection so it would be difficult for me to install the resricted drivers.

):P

depending on how it was supported. if the support came from the kernel guys, just upgrading to a newer kernel under intrepid would give you the functionality you are having under JJ. if it was supported by third party software not included in the kernel...happy hunting ;)

qjmoss
May 19th, 2009, 01:51 PM
How about the beta release of ubuntu?

You think that my intel chip would be supported?

eldragon
May 19th, 2009, 02:36 PM
How about the beta release of ubuntu?

You think that my intel chip would be supported?

hmm, i *think* intel wireless is supported in the kernel, so yes, a new kernel under an older release should help you.

but given your pereceivable expertiece, id suggest you try another linux distribution livecd (try suse or fedora) and see how you fare there..

after all, its all linux ;)

or you could post what problems you are having under JJ and try to fix those (and learn in the process)

qjmoss
May 19th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Where can I find the beta release of ubuntu.

Mark Phelps
May 20th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Ubuntu is released in six-month intervals, with development starting with "alphas", proceed later to "betas". The next Ubuntu release is 9.10 and there are no "beta" releases yet. It is only in the early alpha stages, and at present, there are no LiveCDs, either -- meaning that even if you do download and burn an alpha version, your only option will be to install it -- which I would recommend strongly AGAINST doing because (1) it's an ALPHA, and (2) there's no simple way to rollback to what you have at present.

qjmoss
May 20th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Ubuntu is released in six-month intervals, with development starting with "alphas", proceed later to "betas". The next Ubuntu release is 9.10 and there are no "beta" releases yet. It is only in the early alpha stages, and at present, there are no LiveCDs, either -- meaning that even if you do download and burn an alpha version, your only option will be to install it -- which I would recommend strongly AGAINST doing because (1) it's an ALPHA, and (2) there's no simple way to rollback to what you have at present.

Well how can i fix this intel bug that i'm having with jaunty, every forum i read, it doesnt help =/

And I heard that 9.10's kernel fixed the intel problem