PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Jaunty cannot detect WinXP during installation

Rain
May 19th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Dear ubuntu users,

I have been using & dual booting ubuntu from 5.04 to 8.04.
Today I have reformatted my hard disk and installed WinXP SP3. Afterwhich I had the laptop boot up in Ubuntu 9.04. Everything seems to go well, but during installation (Live CD & also normal installation), Ubuntu 9.04 stated, "No Operating System found". May I ask, how can I make it detect my WinXP SP 3? (This also happens in 8.10 installation and it never get resolve, that is why I have used until 8.04 only)

This is my laptop specifications:
Intel Duo Core 2
2048 MB DDR II
160GB Hitachi HTS543216L9A300
Intel Graphic Media
Intel Wireless

I have tried to google and search in this forum, in vain.
If this question has been asked before, and answer given, kindly direct me to the place. Thank you.

finito
May 19th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Windows SP3 is detected differently. I once tried to repair a SP3 machine with an SP2 CD I had, It would also not detect the Windows installation.

I am sorry I can't help you more than this. Try and install SP2 and updating it to SP3 manually.

Rain
May 20th, 2009, 05:07 AM
If this is really so, then it is ******. I was wondering if Ubuntu staffs take particular note of this because all WinXP CD distributed from March 2009 (in Singapore) comes with SP3 pre-configured !

Rain
May 20th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Hey finito, this is my latest test install.

I have put in Ubuntu 8.04 i386 cd (gnome) and re-attempt the installation. Guess what? It detected my WinXP SP3 installation correctly and allow me to resize my partition accordingly.

I think it is something to do with non-LTS releases. 8.04 is LTS, while 8.10 and 9.04 are not. I hope Ubuntu staffs can take particular note of this, and change in all future releases. I am promoting Ubuntu to my company now (we are using OpenSuse & CentOS at the moment). At home, I have format my family pc to either dual boot 8.04 or a fresh ubuntu 9.04 installation.
(I will really appreciate if someone can comment on this wierd non-LTS issue)

Mark Phelps
May 20th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Rain:

I encountered the same kind of nondetect problem using the 9.04 desktop LiveCD -- and I'm running multiple OSs. When I switched to the Alternate CD for 9.04, it detected the OSs just fine. So, I think there's a "bug" in the desktop LiveCD.

Rain
May 22nd, 2009, 09:58 AM
Rain:

I encountered the same kind of nondetect problem using the 9.04 desktop LiveCD -- and I'm running multiple OSs. When I switched to the Alternate CD for 9.04, it detected the OSs just fine. So, I think there's a "bug" in the desktop LiveCD.

I see, I will try it again. By the way, I suppose you are referring to Alternate CD 9.04 i386 gnome version right?