PDA

View Full Version : Can you install Ubuntu with LXDE instead of Gnome like this?

gymophett
May 19th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Download the alternative CD, and press F4 at the boot menu, then select "Install command line system", then after it's installed, install your preferred desktop environment (i use LXDE on mine, sudo apt-get install lxde), and you've got a nice Ubuntu desktop system in about 1/3 or less of the space and using heaps less resources.

Will that work? If it does, will I still have Pidgin, OpenOffice, Firefox, and everything preinstalled? Or is there a better way to do this? Should I install 9.04, then LXDE, then remove Gnome or what? Please help. I've had problems removing Gnome and such. I'm doing a fresh install now, so what is the best way?

Bodsda
May 19th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Will that work? If it does, will I still have Pidgin, OpenOffice, Firefox, and everything preinstalled? Or is there a better way to do this? Should I install 9.04, then LXDE, then remove Gnome or what? Please help. I've had problems removing Gnome and such. I'm doing a fresh install now, so what is the best way?

Im not certain, but I would have thought a command line system would not include X or video drivers etc. which means first you would have to set up your internet connection via cli and then install and configure the x window system then install your desktop environment and then pray that it works

Saint Angeles
May 19th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Im not certain, but I would have thought a command line system would not include X or video drivers etc. which means first you would have to set up your internet connection via cli and then install and configure the x window system then install your desktop environment and then pray that it works
i would hope that any DE would DEPEND on X... but im not sure if they do.

Bodsda
May 19th, 2009, 08:17 AM
i would hope that any DE would DEPEND on X... but im not sure if they do.

Not directly

bod@bod:~$ apt-cache show kde-core
Package: kde-core
Priority: optional
Section: kde
Installed-Size: 40
Maintainer: Ubuntu Core Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
Original-Maintainer: Debian Qt/KDE Maintainers <debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org>
Architecture: all
Source: meta-kde
Version: 5:48ubuntu1
Depends: kdelibs5 (>= 4:4.1.1), kdebase-runtime (>= 4:4.1.1), kdebase-workspace (>= 4:4.1.1)
Suggests: kde-l10n (>= 4:4.1.1)
Filename: pool/main/m/meta-kde/kde-core_48ubuntu1_all.deb
Size: 8044
MD5sum: 07116346e0a484c46d5ab657a4c9841b
SHA1: 18c0d831046978b7194d27e49f67c6ea53b3e273
SHA256: 0c23aa7d0bbfee51868251ea44176cc48f3b4d4a398d9e03aa c792e519356a6a
Description: the K Desktop Environment core modules
KDE (the K Desktop Environment) is a powerful Open Source graphical
desktop environment for Unix workstations. It combines ease of use,
contemporary functionality, and outstanding graphical design with the
technological superiority of the Unix operating system.
This metapackage includes the core official modules released with KDE. This
includes just the basic desktop (browser, file manager, text editor, control
center, panel, etc.) and important libraries and data.
Homepage: http://www.kde.org
Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
Origin: Ubuntu

XubuRoxMySox
May 19th, 2009, 11:28 AM
You can use Synaptic to install LXDE from the Ubuntu repositories and purge the Ubuntu desktop:

sudo apt-get purge ubuntu-desktop

But if it's a nice "Ubuntu Lite" you're looking for, I recommend the uber-lightweight Ubuntu-based Crunchbang Linux (http://crunchbanglinux.org). I added LXDE to mine and it's pretty much trouble free as along as you let PCMan manage the desktop.

The Crunchbang/LXDE combination is super lightweight, super-simple and newbie friendly.

Crunchbang has no desktop environment at all. There's nothing to "click on," so it's kinda freaky for a newbie at first sight, but don't worry! Just right-click the desktop and a whole menu magically appears out of the darkness. You can select Synaptic, install LXDE (Crunchbang uses Ubuntu's repositories), and log out. Choose LXDE from the Options menu when you log back in and make it the default.

Applications are found in /usr/share/applications and appear as icons! Just drag and drop the ones you want right to your desktop.

Add your favorite wicked-kewl wallpapers to usr/share/lxde/wallpapers and select your favorite from Edit>Preferences in PCMan.

It's awesome, newbie friendly uber-lightweight Ubuntu!

-Robin

mkvnmtr
May 19th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I have used the Ubuntu minimal install disk several times. It is about 10 Mb and you get a command line install. You can then install ldxe for a desktop. You do of course need to install everything else you need or want. It seems to come with a internet connection set up because you have to download everything. You might google Ubuntu minimal install. Right at the top there are several pages that will explain how to do it and install the desktop of your choice.

albinootje
May 19th, 2009, 12:58 PM
You can use Synaptic to install LXDE from the Ubuntu repositories and purge the Ubuntu desktop:

sudo apt-get purge ubuntu-desktop

The ubuntu-desktop package is just a meta-package.
It is normally needed for a proper Ubuntu release upgrade.
Removing it is not gonna remove the whole Ubuntu desktop software.

The OP might want to look here : http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/ at the "Playing Around" section.

gn2
May 19th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Yes, that will work.
Youll need more than just Lxde though, you'll need to add the applications yourself.

After the installation of the command line system, the following should be enough to get you going with a working Lxde GUI:

sudo apt-get install xorg gdm lxde synaptic

Once that lot is installed type: startx

Then install the applications you want either with CLI apt-get or with Synaptic.

Warpnow
May 20th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Yes, that will work.
Youll need more than just Lxde though, you'll need to add the applications yourself.

After the installation of the command line system, the following should be enough to get you going with a working Lxde GUI:

sudo apt-get install xorg gdm lxde synaptic

Once that lot is installed type: startx

Then install the applications you want either with CLI apt-get or with Synaptic.

Apt-getting lxde will install gdm and xorg automatically. I did this only a couple days ago, so startx isn't necessary.

'sudo apt-get install lxde' will install gdm, xorg, and everything else you need.

gn2
May 20th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Apt-getting lxde will install gdm and xorg automatically.

Well I've just learnt something, which is great. :)

I did this only a couple days ago, so startx isn't necessary.

How do you get from a CLI session command prompt to a GUI desktop without starting x?

Sublime Porte
May 20th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Yes it will work, but you will need a working internet connection as mentioned. But that is not too hard to figure out.

Installing LXDE will install all it's requirements, which includes X and so forth. Installing Pidgin, Firefox etc. is very easy (easier than installing LXDE) so don't worry too much about that. The good thing is you can install just the components you want, instead of all the default stuff that comes with ubuntu.

How do you get from a CLI session command prompt to a GUI desktop without starting x?

Like this: sudo reboot (so long as gdm was installed)

albinootje
May 20th, 2009, 12:48 PM

Without using "startx" ? /etc/init.d/gdm restart is an option.
I guess you mean from the "recovery mode" root prompt.
Then "init 2" is an option to boot into "normal" mode.

Warpnow
May 20th, 2009, 04:38 PM

Or your press that shiny button on the front of your PC that turns it off, then push it again for power. :-p

Skripka
May 20th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Ubuntu LXDE edition:

http://grubbn.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=418

cmay
May 20th, 2009, 05:20 PM
http://gemdet.nu/thumb-3D13_4A11C8A4.jpg (http://gemdet.nu/share-3D13_4A11C8A4.html)

here is a screenshot of my lxde on ubuntu . i cheat a bit and use openbox also.
how i do is either install lxde and openbox and then start to chop of gnome.

a better idea is to get the minimal install iso and build it your self.
that is uncheck all when running tasksel and then when you log in install xorg and lxde whihc should drag in lxdecore at least as a depencie. otherwise just install lxde-core.

the you pick what you want of programs and reboot.

lxde is far more fast that any other windows manager i been using and its more easy to work with than openbox or jwm i think. i use openbox and lxde toghter and sometimes keep gnome also because when i go to forums and see questions and i cant remember how gnome is looking like i can at least log in to a gnome session.

Warpnow
May 20th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Ubuntu LXDE edition:

http://grubbn.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=418

Ligthweight window manager, but the applications included are heavy as hell. I find that odd.

Skripka
May 20th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Ligthweight window manager, but the applications included are heavy as hell. I find that odd.

It is...OTOH, they are the standards. Most folks running Ubuntu don't use Links as their browser. ;)

Warpnow
May 20th, 2009, 05:54 PM
It is...OTOH, they are the standards. Most folks running Ubuntu don't use Links as their browser. ;)

Most people running ubuntu don't run LXDE either. :-p

I didn't suggest links, but Firefox is very heavy. A system that benefits from LXDE the most is likely to be crippled by it. Epiphany-webkit, Midori, Opera, these are browsers that are at least a little lightweight.

And obviously...openoffice? Can we even say abiword?

XubuRoxMySox
May 20th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I made my own very lightweight, very speedy LXDE version of Ubuntu Jaunty simply by installing Crunchbang (http://crunchbanglinux.org) and adding LXDE to it! There's really no need for a whole 'nother "Ubuntu Lite" distro at all.

I know they're working on "Lubuntu," but I fear that in their efforts to make it newbie-friendly, it will quickly become as bloated and heavy as Xubuntu has turned out to be.

Crunchbang is a very minimal Ubuntu installation with no desktop environment at all. Adding LXDE adds almost no "weight" to Crunchbang and is in keeping with it's purpose of running well on older hardware.

-Robin

gn2
May 21st, 2009, 01:24 AM
Like this: sudo reboot (so long as gdm was installed)

No need to reboot.

No I mean immediately after installing a CLI system then adding Lxde, just type startx and you're straight into a GUI.

Or your press that shiny button on the front of your PC that turns it off, then push it again for power. :-p

No need to switch off.
My PC has a reset button which also does the job ;)