PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] unsure of switching

gavin2233
May 19th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Hi im very new to unbuntu and i have vista on this computer and I'm looking at converting to unbuntu and i'm not confident enough to dual partition with windows so i have a few questions.

1. How well does it perform in gaming? will it not play/install some games?

2. Is it high maintenace?

3. If I ever convert and don't like it will i be able to revert back to windows by resetting to factory settings???

4. will it work well with these computer specs?
Computer Specs:
Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile technology
RAM: 3GB

These three answers will greatly influence my choice because I like windows and i dont want it to blow up in my face... (like a mac) :D
Thanks

Gavin2233

finito
May 19th, 2009, 09:05 AM
First of all,

Ubuntu is a Distro of Linux. There are hundreds of distros for Linux.

You must understand that Linux and Windows are not compatible.

Most games are written for Windows, Linux has WINE and other applications that let you run Windows Games with very good performance.

You must understand that if you want to get Linux just to play Windows games, than you should not get Linux.

As for your question about Maintenance, if you compare it to windows IMO it is Zero. It being Linux.

Your third question, I have yet to see such a button on Computers. But I am sure if you bought a Dell, HP, Compaq, etc. They usually give a CD for resetting to factory Defaults. I guess you can always just Dual Boot.

As for your specs; If I were you I would use the 64-bit version, for no other reason than because you can. Unfortunately the 64-bit has less support.

P.S. MAC and Ubuntu have the same ancestry: UNIX

lisati
May 19th, 2009, 09:17 AM
As well as the option to try Ubuntu with a "Live CD" (useful for gettting an idea if Ubuntu will work on your machine and to see if you like it), Ubuntu has an option where you can install it "within Windows". What this does is set up Ubuntu in such a way that (1) you get a choice of running Windows or Ubuntu when you start your machine, and (2) you can easily remove Ubuntu using the Windows Control Panel->Add/Remove programs list.

Have a look here for more information: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wubi

ad_267
May 19th, 2009, 09:21 AM
There are multiple ways to install Ubuntu.

First I'd recommend running it from the LiveCD without installing to get an idea of what it is like. Then you can install using Wubi if you don't want to install Ubuntu on a separate partition. This installs Ubuntu as a Windows application, so you can easily uninstall it from Window's Add/Remove programs. You still have to restart your computer to boot into Ubuntu.

Edit: Lisati beat me to it..

gavin2233
May 19th, 2009, 11:21 PM
thanks ill try wubi and see whats what