PDA

View Full Version : Home Security - Computer Based Camera Console. Possible?

Roasted
May 19th, 2009, 05:25 AM
So, like many people here - I'm kind of a geek. But I'm also somebody who believes in taking decent measures in home security. Does that mean sitting on the back porch with a shotgun? No. I'm talking about security cameras.

But I'm questioning something. I'm wondering if there's a way you can "network" 1 or 2 security cameras to your computer (Ubuntu computer?) so you can tap into the live feed and watch it while I'm in the basement in the computer den.

Something like this possible? We have it at work (school district) but I didn't set it up and it's on a much larger scale than I would ever consider.

Any ideas?

cariboo
May 19th, 2009, 07:32 AM
A friend of mine gave me a usb webcam that attaches to a small web server, the server has a java applet that you can open in a web browser, you can have up to 4 instances of the aaplet running on a web page. If I remember right he paid about $50US on ebay.

He bought it for security after his house had been broken into for the third time. He ended up giving to me after he moved to a small town pop. <200, and figured he didn't need it any more.

Terry of Astoria
May 19th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Yeah, I have a few standalone web cams (web server built in) - just search for "ip cam" on ebay - but really I think you are looking for zoneminder. or motion.

Bodsda
May 19th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Linux Format issue 115 had an article about webcam hacks, like setting one up infront of your comp that turned on by motion detection. Same principal just remotely