PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with simple question

newbie34
May 19th, 2009, 04:36 AM
So I installed Ubuntu.. I'm completely new so this may be a simple question. The wifi seem slow.

GS-27USB-50

So I want to install the linux driver that come with the wifi CD. How do I do that? when I open the driver folder in the CD and look at the readme.txt it I got no idea what all that mean, how do you do all of this... thank for the help...

< Installation >
Runing the scripts can finish all operations of building up modules
from the source code and start the nic.
1. Build up the drivers from the source code
./makedrv

2. load the driver module to kernel and start up nic
./wlan0up
Note: when "insmod: error inserting 'xxxx.ko': -1 File exists" comes out
after run ./wlan0up, please run ./wlan0down first, then it should
be ok.

< Set wireless lan MIBs >
This driver uses Wireless Extension as an interface allowing you to set
Wireless LAN specific parameters.

cariboo
May 19th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Before trying to install the driver from the cd, I would check what driver is already loaded. To do this open an Applications-->Accessories-->Termnal and type:

sudo lshw -C network

the above command will print the details of your network devices on screen. Could you paste the output in your next post.

newbie34
May 22nd, 2009, 12:50 PM
Thank cariboo907 for the reply.

When I was checking for the driver as you suggested, I notice that the update manger was doing a update. After that, the whole computer work faster, :D including the WiFi problem. As a XP user I got used to putting in the CD and install every driver when I reformat. So this is better. The add/remove application is also very useful too.

Is there a good Linux for dummy out there? I have never use the DOS window in xp, so the terminal is a little intimidating.

Thank..

Marvin666
May 22nd, 2009, 02:06 PM
<disregard this post, my browser messed up on me>

Sef
May 22nd, 2009, 02:50 PM
Is there a good Linux for dummy out there? I have never use the DOS window in xp, so the terminal is a little intimidating.

Easiest way to use it is to copy and paste commands. The terminal is not needed very often.