PDA

View Full Version : Alternative "set up and go" distro?

TheOrangePeanut
May 19th, 2009, 04:32 AM
I use Arch on my main PC, but I'm going to install a Linux distro on my laptop and I don't want a distro that I have to set up manually like Arch. I was going to use Ubuntu since that is what I got started with Linux on, but since I'm starting fresh on this PC then maybe I could try something else. Any suggestions?

I'm looking for a distro that is quick and easy to set up with sane defaults, a decently sized repository, and doesn't take much time to maintain. DE doesn't matter, but I do prefer KDE.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I need proprietary codecs (MP3, whatever else) and drivers (video card). If they aren't available in the standard repositories, then it shouldn't be too much work to set up non-free repos and grab them that way.

So what should it be? Fedora, Mandriva, Suse, ... whatever else?

Thanks

bhishan
May 19th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Fedora or Mandriva.

snowpine
May 19th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Ubuntu (including its cousin Kubuntu) is the ultimate "set up and go" distro--that is its main contribution to the Linux world. Since you are asking on the ubuntu forums, that would be my #1 recommendation for you. :)

Another excellent KDE distro that will be quite familiar to (K)Ubuntu users is Sidux. While it is based on the "bleeding edge" of Debian, it actually is a surprisingly sane and stable distro (certainly no more likely to "break" than Arch).

kk0sse54
May 19th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Fedora

Tipped OuT
May 19th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Fedora

Ubuntu :twisted:

lisati
May 19th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Xubuntu

chucky chuckaluck
May 19th, 2009, 05:02 AM
i just had to reinstall arch. i screwed up something and decided to give ubuntu a retry. couldn't take (in a "not for me" kind of way). so, i went back to arch. took twenty minutes at the most. (i'm just sayin'...)

lisati
May 19th, 2009, 05:05 AM
i just had to reinstall arch. i screwed up something and decided to give ubuntu a retry. couldn't take (in a "not for me" kind of way). so, i went back to arch. took twenty minutes at the most. (i'm just sayin'...)

Well done for what you have achieved so far, and good luck for the future. Feel to stick around.

Icehuck
May 19th, 2009, 05:12 AM
I like openSUSE and for me it has been a great get up and go distro. Fedora also works pretty well in this category.

TheOrangePeanut
May 19th, 2009, 05:21 AM

Different distros for different purposes. I just don't want to have to update my laptop very often, or worry about something breaking (like the policykit problem on KDEmod last week) that may be fixable in a day, but I'd just rather not deal with it.

I guess I'll probably just stick to Ubuntu. I haven't installed it anywhere since 7.10 anyway. I'll see how 9.04 is doing...

kerry_s
May 19th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Different distros for different purposes. I just don't want to have to update my laptop very often, or worry about something breaking (like the policykit problem on KDEmod last week) that may be fixable in a day, but I'd just rather not deal with it.

I guess I'll probably just stick to Ubuntu. I haven't installed it anywhere since 7.10 anyway. I'll see how 9.04 is doing...

i think that policykit problem is universal, it's still in progress from what i can see, and very incomplete in my opinion. for the time being i'm using xfce4 which has less of it.

if you don't want to update often and you don't really care about having the latest, then perhaps debian lenny(stable) might do it for you.
i prefer squeeze(testing) myself.

HappyFeet
May 19th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Try Kiwi Linux. It's regular ubuntu with all codecs preinstalled. Just install and go.

Pixel
May 19th, 2009, 07:24 AM
OpenSUSE is a very good out-of-the-box distro and it looks and runs very well.

HappinessNow
May 19th, 2009, 07:33 AM
I use Arch on my main PC, but I'm going to install a Linux distro on my laptop and I don't want a distro that I have to set up manually like Arch. I was going to use Ubuntu since that is what I got started with Linux on, but since I'm starting fresh on this PC then maybe I could try something else. Any suggestions?

I'm looking for a distro that is quick and easy to set up with sane defaults, a decently sized repository, and doesn't take much time to maintain. DE doesn't matter, but I do prefer KDE.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I need proprietary codecs (MP3, whatever else) and drivers (video card). If they aren't available in the standard repositories, then it shouldn't be too much work to set up non-free repos and grab them that way.

So what should it be? Fedora, Mandriva, Suse, ... whatever else?

Thanks

PC-BSD (Not Linux, but even nicer)

...or this guy seems to think this Linux distro (link in his Signature) will take over the world! :lolflag:
(http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7269524&postcount=360)

neo_1in
May 19th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Me also looking for same thing. My home pc does not have internet connection so downloading stuff of net can get tricky. I have used turbolinux 8 and mandrake powerpack 10 which were perfect for it. Is there is free alternative to these?

richg
May 19th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Mint 7. I am running it since it came out a few weeks ago. Updates come though just fine. I could play commercial DVDs right out of the box.
Ubuntu is a very good OS but could not play DVDs right out of the box.
Don't know about video options as I use the onboard video in my PCs.

Rich

Firestem4
May 19th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Chakra-Project

www.chakra-project.org

It is Arch+KDEmod with a LiveInstaller (The portion of the project that is actually Alpha, is the LiveInstaller). Works well most of the time. It will get you an Arch system running in 15 minutes or less.

Firestem4
May 19th, 2009, 06:22 PM

Sorry, didn't see that you weren't interested in another Arch system. Tho I will back my recommendation of Chakra regardless.

Otherwise I use Kubuntu. 9.04 works great.

ashmew2
May 19th, 2009, 06:24 PM
+1 to Fedora..Plus Fedora 11 out in a week! :D

gn2
May 19th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Antix.

ashmew2
May 19th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Me also looking for same thing. My home pc does not have internet connection so downloading stuff of net can get tricky. I have used turbolinux 8 and mandrake powerpack 10 which were perfect for it. Is there is free alternative to these?

I think Ubuntu Christmas Edition . or Better , Linux Mint.

Antix.

Thanks for mentioning Antix..It sure looks promising! :D