PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Linux unified kernel runs Win apps?

forestwalkerjoe
May 18th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I found this link but am spooked to try it.
I am running a wubi (9:04 Ubuntu upgrade from 8:10)
in win xp- but I do installs for others.
the one and Only compliant by these is' cant run some Windows Programs, Games or APPs.'
Any one used this Unified kernel thing?
http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/05/linux-unified-kernel-claims-to-allow.html
wanna help me to Set it up. ? then I can do it for others ???
I want each and every new persons install to be great.. The more folks who use Linux, Like Linux.. then there will be more support for Linux apps ,games so on.
If we are "no windows" - separatists - then we risk being no different
than micro scrap.
FWJ
FWJ

Mark Phelps
May 19th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Given the fact that it installs from a .deb file, I'm guessing that it's another kind of SW layer similar in functionality to Wine or Crossover. I don't know for a fact, but I seriously doubt you can replace an existing kernel in its entirely simply by installing from a .deb file -- but maybe you can.

My own experiences with Wine have been abysmal -- everything failed; nothing worked.

So, while this LOOKS promising, I'm waiting for others to try it out before I jump in.

forestwalkerjoe
May 20th, 2009, 03:10 AM
i have had very limited success with Wine.. even in its newest release. I did notice as i read the page.. that its newest upgrade for the Kernel thing is in a week. that it solves many " problem bugs". but being such a new guy and all.. and knowing that the whole of all this Linux WUBI stuff works off the kernel.. i am not so excited to over write one for another till i know some one with a bit more techie experience than i have .. has done before me and found some value in it. nothing i would hate more than to follow Translated to English from Chinese HOW TO pages and find out i DID IT WRONG and destroyed my Ubuntu install. ANY ONE ELSE had time to look this over? got any suggestions? i am all for it.
I really wish one of these more TECHIE folks would test it out.. as they so love to do.. and tell us what functions IT can add to a standard or WUBI install of Ubuntu 810 or 904 . If these will work.. even a little bit.. my Linux Converts will be happy enough with that. ( makes a sneaky face.. looks both ways.. wrings his hands and swists his SNIDELY handle bard mustachio.. VEE ZHALL Take Ove DE Wold! Up with Linux! )

FWJ