PDA

View Full Version : A question about single users licenses.

dragos240
May 18th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Hello,

This just occured to me. If a single user license states that only one user can use it and that it can't be distributed, would that mean that since I formated windows partition and deleted windows and vegas, does that mean that I could download a free copy off the pirate bay, of both of those products to run in a virtual machine? Or would this be illegal.

koenn
May 18th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Depends on the wording of the license, but iirc, MS EULAs refer to the copy of the software you acquired with the license.

Besides that, the copy you download would be redistributed, which the owner wasn't allowed to do according to the license he accepted with his copy of the software.

dragos240
May 18th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I see. I wish I had a source to confirm your claim. Oh well.

koenn
May 18th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Like I said, it would depend on the actual license you're subject to, and that tends to vary by version & edition, so ....

Here's an example:

IMPORTANT-READ CAREFULLY: This End-User License Agreement ("EULA") is a legal agreement between you (either an individual or a single entity) and Microsoft Corporation for the Microsoft software that accompanies this EULA

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/eula/home.mspx

blastus
May 18th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Unless you are talking about a company-owned computer, do whatever you want. ;)

koenn
May 18th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Unless you are talking about a company-owned computer, do whatever you want. ;)
now that would be illegal

lisati
May 18th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Aside from potential legal hassles, you can't really be sure of the quality or safety of stuff you get through the pirate bay. Some of the stuff I've looked at there has had unwelcome passengers in the form of malware.

dragos240
May 18th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Aside from potential legal hassles, you can't really be sure of the quality or safety of stuff you get through the pirate bay. Some of the stuff I've looked at there has had unwelcome passengers in the form of malware.

You can always check in the comments though. Most viruses will have comments saying "don't download!" and other things, I never download without a few comments.

Xbehave
May 18th, 2009, 11:52 PM
you count download from p2p even if you have a license as you illegally distribute in by uploading (warez sites are however even less safe)