PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing on a laptop problem

domtron
May 18th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I'm trying to install a resent version of Ubuntu on my i390 think pad laptop. I installed an older vertion a while ago and it worked fine. I have the newer version burned on a cd.

When I try installing it the CD menu opens up and I select the install option it shows the loading bar but when the bar is filled completely the next screen has vertical green lines on the top half of the screen then it goes to a blank screen and stays like that indefinitely(i waited for a hour and a half).

I would greatly appreciate help.

Here are the specs

intel pentium 3
250 md ram
18 GB

Herber
May 18th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Try install in graphics safe mode.

domtron
May 18th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I'll try that. thanks

zeex
May 18th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I'm trying to install a resent version of Ubuntu on my i390 think pad laptop. I installed an older vertion a while ago and it worked fine. I have the newer version burned on a cd.

When I try installing it the CD menu opens up and I select the install option it shows the loading bar but when the bar is filled completely the next screen has vertical green lines on the top half of the screen then it goes to a blank screen and stays like that indefinitely(i waited for a hour and a half).

I would greatly appreciate help.

Here are the specs

intel pentium 3
250 md ram
18 GB

Hi,

Your system is pretty old by it's specifications. You might wanna try text based alternate installer. It's good for systems that do not meet minimum graphics requirement of new live CDs.

You need an alternate install CD. take a look here (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors)

domtron
May 18th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I tried it several times and it did not work.

Herber
May 18th, 2009, 03:26 PM
With an older system, maybe you should try Xubuntu, maybe the limited Ram is the Problem. The minimum requirements for the Ubuntu Install Disk say 380 MB RAM.