PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Default Login Window Theme

izzygalvez
May 18th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I am using Clearlooks as my theme in Ubuntu, and I would like to have my login screen use Clearlooks by default, as well. Customizing the Login screen via System > Administration > Login Window does not give an the option for a default window theme.

Is it possible to have the login screen use Clearlooks by default instead of Ubuntu Human theme? If so, how can I achieve this?

devosion
May 18th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Clearlooks is a metacity gtk engine / theme and will not work with the login window. There are a variety of gdm themes out there to install and try. I'd recommend gnome-look.org to find what you might be looking for.

izzygalvez
May 18th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Ok. I guess this is what I am trying to do... I noticed you can change the "theme" while you are at the login window. It's in the menu bar, next to Actions. So, I set it to Clearlooks. When I log out, it is still set as Clearlooks, but when I reboot, the "theme" is set back to Ubuntu Human.

Is there a way to keep it set as Clearlooks?

sherl0k
May 18th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Make sure that in the "Theme" dropdown it's set to "Selected only" and then use the radio buttons to choose Clearlooks.

izzygalvez
May 20th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Nevermind, I figured it out myself... Since it was mentioned that the login window uses GDM, I looked around in my filesytem for GDM config files. I found gdm.config and gdm.conf-custom in /etc/gdm/

I read both files carefully, and to achieve what I wanted, I added GtkTheme=Clearlooks under [gui] into the gdm.conf-custom file... I rebooted, and it worked! I knew it couldn't be too complicated. I'm surprised Login Window Preferences doesn't give you this simple option.

- Izzy