PDA

View Full Version : Get Coldplay Album LeftRightLiftRightLift : Legal Free Beer

bigbrovar
May 18th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Someone posted this on identica, so i followed the link and downloaded my on legal free beer copy. from here http://www.coldplay.com/lrlrl/lr.html according to the link, its a thank you to their fans .. thought i should share.. back to work now :(

Sand & Mercury
May 18th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Coldplay sucks but it's a good gesture. Kudos.

Riffer
May 18th, 2009, 08:48 AM
thanks for the link

toupeiro
May 18th, 2009, 08:52 AM
+1. Thank you. I for one do not think Coldplay sucks. To each their own. I will enjoy it!

192kbps too!

monsterstack
May 18th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Yet another band trying the "give it away and see what happens" approach. It's good to see more people trying this out.

gnomeuser
May 18th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Thank you, more free legal content for my playlist.

sharathpaps
May 18th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Many Many Many thanks amigo.. I don't listen to coldplay but my girlfriend lllloooooovvveeeeesssss the band.

Thanks again..

monsterstack
May 18th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Anybody who likes their music funkier and heavier might want to check out Girl Talk's last album, Feed the Animals (http://74.124.198.47/illegal-art.net/__girl__talk___feed__the__anima.ls___/) [illegal-art.net]. He has one of those "pay what you like" systems. If you like to pay nothing, you have to give a reason why. :D

kamitsukai
May 18th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Well even I have to admit that I'm not all that keen on Coldplay although I do like a couple of there songs (Clocks and Viva La Vida) which this download has both so I'm happy =]

Corelogik
May 18th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Don't know anything about Coldplay, but I like to explore my musical options so I grabbed my copy.

pwnst*r
May 18th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Don't know anything about Coldplay, but I like to explore my musical options so I grabbed my copy.

:shock:

cheers, OP, i like coldplay

calrogman
May 18th, 2009, 03:23 PM
This music is not free as in beer if they are using MPEG encoding, I sincerely hope they are using ogg or FLAC.

Oh darn, I just downloaded it, mp3.

chucky chuckaluck
May 18th, 2009, 03:29 PM
well, that was thoughtful of them.

Polygon
May 18th, 2009, 08:54 PM
close, but if they really wanted to do it right, they would offer OGG versions (like NIN did), but still a nice gesture.

Depressed Man
May 18th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Anybody who likes their music funkier and heavier might want to check out Girl Talk's last album, Feed the Animals (http://74.124.198.47/illegal-art.net/__girl__talk___feed__the__anima.ls___/) [illegal-art.net]. He has one of those "pay what you like" systems. If you like to pay nothing, you have to give a reason why. :D

Hmm, I choose pay nothing, and then it asked me why. I said other expecting to receive an open prompt so I could write. But nope, straight to download.

I was going write "Was refered to you by so and so on ubuntuforums.org, I have never listened to your music before so I don't want to pay until I hear it".

mickey57
May 18th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the link.Listening right now.;)

hansdown
May 18th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Thanks bigbrovar.

calrogman
May 18th, 2009, 09:36 PM
close, but if they really wanted to do it right, they would offer OGG versions (like NIN did), but still a nice gesture.

OGG is for low quality, use FLAC.

hansdown
May 18th, 2009, 09:42 PM
This music is not free as in beer if they are using MPEG encoding, I sincerely hope they are using ogg or FLAC.

Oh darn, I just downloaded it, mp3.

You can install soundconverter in synaptic.

pwnst*r
May 18th, 2009, 09:43 PM
You can install soundconverter in synaptic.

transcoding is no good.

Polygon
May 18th, 2009, 10:44 PM
OGG is for low quality, use FLAC.

i can't tell the difference between ogg and flac, so why bother with files that are like 20 times as large?

logos34
May 18th, 2009, 10:58 PM
i can't tell the difference between ogg and flac, so why bother with files that are like 20 times as large?

+1

ogg vorbis -q 5 setting or above is transparent to me. can't tell it from original

anyone who is not familiar with Coldplay, just listen to A Rush of Blood to the Head (2002)--it's absolutely fantastic...X&Y (2005) is close behind...Viva la Vida (2008)/Prospekt's March, OTH, despite the rave reviews from a lot of critics, is complete garbage, IMHO...(But, hey, their previous albums are hard acts to follow)...

To be honest, I'm not expecting much from these tracks...although Radiohead practically gave away In Rainbows when it was first released on the web 3 yrs ago, and it was an instant alt rock classic

EDIT: oh, I thought this might be unlreleased material...It's [edit] LIVE performances, cool

m_duck
May 18th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Cool, it's live. Cheers bigbrova

Xbehave
May 18th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Its yet another meaningless move by a rich band, i don't see why big bands don't try giving away free as in beer (cc-by-nc-sa)

logos34
May 18th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Its yet another meaningless move by a rich band

yeah, and I just noticed that the tracks don't even have gapless option enabled...how totally lame! I hate that in concert albums!

kk0sse54
May 18th, 2009, 11:59 PM
doesn't seem to work for me :(

Polygon
May 19th, 2009, 08:19 AM
blah. i dont like live albums, the clapping and cheering annoys me.

pwnst*r
May 19th, 2009, 12:33 PM
yeah, and I just noticed that the tracks don't even have gapless option enabled...how totally lame! I hate that in concert albums!

agreed, it's free yes, but gapless not being enabled is weak. also, whoever posted about using FLAC over OGG is probably listening with cheap headphones and on a DAP, yet they praise FLAC over everything.

i use FLAC exclusively on my two channel home system and lossy (mp3/aac) on my DAP and yes, to my ears, there's a difference, especially when it comes to depth of soundstage, sibilance, and other factors. i do have a fairly expensive home set up though, so i would say for most, a good quality OGG (unless you're archiving) is plenty good enough.

logos34
May 19th, 2009, 07:26 PM
i use FLAC exclusively on my two channel home system and lossy (mp3/aac) on my DAP and yes, to my ears, there's a difference, especially when it comes to depth of soundstage, sibilance, and other factors. i do have a fairly expensive home set up though, so i would say for most, a good quality OGG (unless you're archiving) is plenty good enough.

Personally, I'm in the 'most' category--to be exact, fairly good 2-channel stereo amp and 3-way speakers, and pretty decent headphones for my portable player). That's the conclusion I've come to...I've stopped worrying about it. Flac if you have $$$ home stereo sound system, gobs of empty disk space, and a large capacity DAP, and ogg vorbis for everyone else who have the average flash-based audio player, because at + q5 setting it's effectively transparent, so it hardly matters. Start enjoying the music.

Murrquan
May 19th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Wow! Many thanks. ^.^

And here I've only heard Viva La Vida, but hey, anything else is just an added bonus!

RiceMonster
May 19th, 2009, 07:49 PM

If you're like me and have an obsession with getting the best sound quality, flac is the best because you don't loose anything. Depending on how good your sound system in, ogg will sound fine, which is the case for most people. Personally, I feel almost ripped off because I'm getting reduced quality, regardless of how noticeable it is. Yeah I know, it's sort of a goofy obsession.

Personally I think igf you're going to distribute your music online, I don't know why you would only offer it in lossy qualities like ogg or mp3. Doesn't make sense to me. Sure, offer an ogg/mp3 version, but don't make it the only one.

I-75
May 19th, 2009, 09:03 PM
+1

Xbehave
May 19th, 2009, 10:04 PM
There will be loses in the recording system and production of the album, what they put out is never 100% perfect (even if its 100% what they recorded) so i'd rather save storage space and listen to it at whatever i consider transparent (~150, but i can handle 128 for my mp2 player)

pwnst*r
May 20th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Personally, I'm in the 'most' category--to be exact, fairly good 2-channel stereo amp and 3-way speakers, and pretty decent headphones for my portable player). That's the conclusion I've come to...I've stopped worrying about it. Flac if you have $$$ home stereo sound system, gobs of empty disk space, and a large capacity DAP, and ogg vorbis for everyone else who have the average flash-based audio player, because at + q5 setting it's effectively transparent, so it hardly matters. Start enjoying the music.

i hear ya. ;) storage is never an issue and being an audio enthusiast when i'm using my 2 channel system, i want to know i'm listening to a recording that's technically as good as a cd.

yabbadabbadont
May 20th, 2009, 04:28 AM
It was nice of them to release this album. 'Clocks' is the only song of theirs that I like and, unfortunately, this live version is terrible. (in my opinion)