PDA

View Full Version : Chem refinery ignites almost right outside my house!

SunnyRabbiera
May 18th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Man this was figgin scary, I watched it from right down the street:

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=6817891

(I link to ABC as it gives the best coverage in the area)

It started around 10:00PM, and for the last 2 hours nothing but fire and chaos.
I can say that around 10:09PM EST is when it started, when we heard a big BOOM!
And our house shook for about a second.
It was like a bloody bomb went off, I went outside to see what happened and was at first wondering what was going on.
Going outside was nothing out of the usual in this area, the refinery has been burning up crap for practically 100 years now.
At night seeing bright orange lights in the skies is not out of the ordinary.
But not tonight, because tonight is when quite literally all hell broke loose.
It was like watching fireworks, there were two maybe more bangs afterwards, I mainly heard the two initial blasts from this event.
It was like someone was shooting a cannon, not ear splitting but certainly enough to get one riled.
But the big scary bit of the whole thing is that I could hear something pounding in the background, it was rhythmic like the sound of a locomotive.
It was intense, it was like the refinery was a ticking time bomb ready to go off.
It was nightmarish at a distance, and we knew that something was wrong when at least five different fire sirens went off.
At best we hear one or two, but tonight it was way more then that.
Now luckily no one was hurt so far but there is something worse then an explosion out there in the air.
Ethylene Oxide, a product used to make things like detergents and foam, and is a step away from Ethylene glycol...
Antifreeze for those less chemically knowledgeable then I.
Now lucky for me the toxic cloud has blown away from my house, the winds blew towards New Jersey.
But still I am worried, as these are the symptoms of Ethylene Oxide poisoning:
(From Wikipedia)
"Headache and dizziness, progressing with increasing exposure to convulsions, seizure and coma. It is also an irritant to skin and the respiratory tract, and inhaling the vapors may cause the lungs to fill with fluid several hours after exposure.

Ethylene oxide is usually stored as a pressurized or refrigerated liquid. At room temperature and pressure, it rapidly evaporates, potentially causing frostbite in cases of skin exposure.

Laboratory animals exposed to ethylene oxide for their entire lives have had a higher incidence of liver cancer. However, studies on human beings who have worked with ethylene oxide for extended periods and may have experienced low doses during that time have found no increase in cancer risk. Chronic ethylene oxide exposure may increase the risk of cataracts in humans.

In animals, ethylene-oxide can cause numerous reproductive effects, including mutations and a higher rate of miscarriages. Its reproductive effects on humans have not been well studied, but it is considered probable that ethylene oxide exposure has similar effects on human reproduction."

Now currently I do have little headache but I will know very soon if I have a case of poisoning, so far my skin feels fine and the headache is most likely from the excitement.
Still worry is in high supply here, no evacuations were called for my general area but nothing suggests any immediate danger... so far.

I will keep posted on this, I know that this doesnt have much to do with Ubuntu or community fun but I think I needed it off my chest.

MikeTheC
May 18th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Wow... I'm glad you're alright!

Wonder what the locomotive sound you heard was.

Best wishes to you and all who live up there and around the area. I hope nobody gets adversely affected by this.

Game Over
May 18th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Pff...
Obviously they were not using Linux.

SunnyRabbiera
May 18th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Wonder what the locomotive sound you heard was.

I imagine one of the processors, there is a lot of crap that goes under the ground here.
We got propane, we got gas lines, we got this crap.
It was certinaly involved in what happened here.
Now we do have trains here, but most of it is Amtrak or local rail lines but the sound I heard was like an old steam engine, but it was loud and roaring.

MikeTheC
May 18th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Underground gas lines, huh?

While my experiences in cooking with gas have been good ones, not having gas lines here makes me feel a *lot* safer. Gas explosions can be very, very deadly.

My late grandfather helped fight the fire in the Cleveland East Ohio Gas Explosion of 1944. That plus other such events elsewhere has me really soured on the idea.

monsterstack
May 18th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Time to get the camera out, no?

starcannon
May 18th, 2009, 07:18 AM
+1 To Glad you're alright. Keep you and your's safe tonight.

sourchier
May 18th, 2009, 07:32 AM
I hope that you and everyone in the area are OK. I'm glad that the inferno did not destroy your home/possessions/life. You might want to think about moving. Chemical fires are no joke. Take care.

toupeiro
May 18th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I did technical support for the first 5 years of my career in a Heavy oil refinery and had to take yearly safety training on all the units that ran in ours. Those things are no joke man, If it was a gasoline/diesel refinery, then they probably have a hydrocracker Unit. Cracking is the process of breaking down, at a molecular level, carbon-carbon bonds with the use of high heat and pressurized hydrogen gas. Needless to say, if something goes wrong in that process, it can be VERY, VERY dangerous. Seriously, I would get outside of a 5 mile radius if that fire is still moving and that refinery refines gas and diesel, because if it hits a HCU, thats very, very bad news! I don't mean to panic you, but I would seriously not be anywhere near a burning refinery... Find out what was made there, as soon as possible!

edit: news link shows it was owned by sunoco, which is an oil company, but I found that out in another article saying the fire is controlled, but still going. I would hope if they had HCU's there they would have evacuated people. Hope you're safe. Good luck!

SunnyRabbiera
May 18th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Well minor update at least om my end, I am fine and no harmful gases have come my way...
PHEW!