PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What USB Devices Attached and Where?

oldefoxx
May 18th, 2009, 04:09 AM
There was a point a week or so ago when Ubuntu 9.04 reported that it detected a USB scanner. I was busy with other problems at the time, so just filed this away in my head. But then it stopped. Now I am trying to get back to the same point, but not sure how to do so.

I used the lsusb command with -h to see what options I had with it, then tried different ones. Not sure what I am looking at, but it appears I have six USB Hubs, each on a different bus, then can try to query devices by using -s bus:dev, where bus and dev are both decimal values. It seems to work with lsusb -v -s hub:dev, changing the hub and dev values. I generally get a result with lsusb -v -s hub:1 for the hub itself, but other values for dev usually don't turn up anything.

What I want to know is what usb devices are detected on my machine, but this way of trying to do it could take a long time. Anybody want to suggest a better way? Researchng this topic, I found where someone wanted to do something like this, but just suggested that maybe there ought to be a high level tool to deal with USB management, which might be a good idea as well.