PDA

View Full Version : Cool writing program, Kabikaboo

jslinux
May 18th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Thought I'd call attention to this nice new program being developed by one aidave

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kabikaboo

Kabikaboo - Recursive Writing Assistant

In the vein of scrivener, pagefour, and ywriter.

Personally I think Ubuntu is a fine writing environment, and would love to see this program continue to be developed.

Some screenshots:

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/2963/screenshotamj.th.png (http://img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotamj.png)

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/1992/screenshot1o.th.png (http://img195.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot1o.png)

drawkcab
May 18th, 2009, 04:35 AM
This appears to be based on a 9th grade understanding of literature. I wonder if there's a "conflict" button that pulls down a menu for man vs. man / man vs nature / etc.

:roll:

jslinux
May 18th, 2009, 05:22 AM
That's just an example layout smart guy.

monsterstack
May 18th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Looks quite interesting. The code isn't particularly massive, either, so maybe I can hack around with it a bit. And maybe not completely break it.

Warpnow
May 18th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I've been looking for something like this for years.

Zim/Notecase were close. I really hope this meets my needs better.

Warpnow
May 18th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Is there no readme on how to build this application, though? I don't know hardly anything about python, and the only downlaod I could find were the coee files in the SVN.

MikeTheC
May 18th, 2009, 06:03 AM
It looks interesting, but when I went to check it out over at Sourceforge, there's nothing to download!

jslinux
May 18th, 2009, 06:40 AM
(check it out using subversion)

sudo apt-get install subversion

svn co https://kabikaboo.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/kabikaboo kabikaboo

(then browse to the code subfolder)
cd kabikaboo/code
python kabikaboo.py

MikeTheC
May 18th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Oh, this thing is just source-code for the moment?

Never mind, then.

monsterstack
May 18th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Oh, this thing is just source-code for the moment?

Never mind, then.

You can choose "browse svn" from sourceforge, and download a tarball and extract it. There's nothing to compile: it's just a bunch of Python scripts. Extract them and find the py files, then run

python kabikaboo.py

tadcan
May 18th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Storybook is more polished and easier to install.

http://storybook.intertec.ch/joomla/

jslinux
May 18th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Storybook has a different layout philosophy.

Personally, I think it looks like an office application.

I think most people are looking for a program that comes close to scrivener and fits well in a gnome environment. This is a step in the right direction.

joey-elijah
May 18th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Has everyone forgotten Celtx?

Warpnow
May 18th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Has everyone forgotten Celtx?

Its a massively huge program for the simple task of writing.

monsterstack
May 18th, 2009, 05:31 PM
If somebody gives Kabikaboo a linking feature, I think I'd use it quite a lot. Zim is okay, but it doesn't have that cool hierachy-type structure.

jslinux
May 18th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Yeah, I think the author just needs a little encouragement. He's having some difficulty moving the program to launchpad, a subject about which I know nothing.

Linking would be nice. Rich text for italics. Full screen mode. Being able to drag nodes around would be helpful.

Eventually, a storyboard, for people who use that sort of thing. Yada yada.
Pdf/jpeg support in program. Perhaps it wouldn't be terribly hard to borrow code from evince and eye of gnome, with some c programming.

But the program already looks really nice, is not clunky at all, and seems to have gnome HIG in mind. I like the "children" metaphor too.

Chilli Bob
May 19th, 2009, 05:34 AM
This program is FREAKING PERFECT for what I need. I have been trying to do this with Geany and Notecase, both of which can almost sorta do what I want, but this is perfect. (Assuming it can handle LARGE files).

Will also try storybook, but it looks a bit of overkill really.

aidave
June 5th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Thought I'd call attention to this nice new program being developed by one aidave

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kabikaboo

Kabikaboo - Recursive Writing Assistant

In the vein of scrivener, pagefour, and ywriter.

Personally I think Ubuntu is a fine writing environment, and would love to see this program continue to be developed.

:grin:

:)! Wow it makes me happy someone has found this and sees the value in it. I am still developing it, albeit as a hobby, but the more important thing is I use it every time I write my sci-fi novel! Even when I'm not writing my novel, I use it to jot down random ideas that pop into my head, or to paste in tidbits of research.

It's true its very basic and doesn't have many text-editing features. I'd like to fix that. One high-priority feature to add next is undo/redo. I dont want to go too hogwild on the advanced text-editing, it would consume all my time. GtkSourceView component looks worth checking out to see if it does all the dirty work.

The latest feature I just added this week (v1.1) is a tabbed notebook. It will remember the latest 5 nodes you clicked on. I find this very helpful because I am constantly jumping between a few nodes, but got annoyed because the tree list was too long between them. I hate scrolling, especially on a laptop!

So you may want to update from the repo (Sourceforge or now Launchpad). Make sure to backup any document you made, just in case, because it brings along a new doc format to remember your tabs (it autoconverts to 1.1 for you). I should probably add some preference settings for it, and make Ctrl-Tab keys do switching. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Finally, I wish to see Kabikaboo available in the Debian/Ubuntu repositories. I'm trying to learn how to make a .deb package. It's not easy for me... if anyone can help, I'm willing to learn.

Thanks for the compliments, and I hope Kabikaboo helps you! :)

cheers
aidave 8-)

aidave
June 5th, 2009, 12:14 AM
This program is FREAKING PERFECT for what I need. I have been trying to do this with Geany and Notecase, both of which can almost sorta do what I want, but this is perfect. (Assuming it can handle LARGE files).

Will also try storybook, but it looks a bit of overkill really.

Thanks Chilli Bob.

I think it can handle large files. The file I use is quite large with a few hundred nodes.

Might I suggest you dump a huge text block into one node, save and load that? If that works, it stands to reason that it should handle what you need.

aidave
June 5th, 2009, 12:25 AM
This appears to be based on a 9th grade understanding of literature. I wonder if there's a "conflict" button that pulls down a menu for man vs. man / man vs nature / etc.

:roll:

:-\"

Basically when you load up Kabikaboo, it gives you a sample layout.
It is meant to show you the capabilities of the program, nothing more.
From there you create a new blank slate to work from.

Anyone is welcome to create a more advanced sample layout.

The whole point of Kabikaboo is freedom to make whatever layout you want. When you create a new document, you have one root node. From there you add nodes and create any hierarchy you like. So it in theory could be used for other purposes beyond writing a novel.

When you have an idea about one of your characters, like a quote they say, but it happens to him far in the future, you can go to your Kabikaboo document, and type in a note about it. Instead of one massive document where you'd have to search for the characters section, find the character, then find his quotes subsection, etc, now its a little easier to find and retrieve that info!

You might find if your novel, or series of novels, is quite complex, Kabikaboo could be a good aid. I personally can't remember everything I think of, and my previous strategy of keeping all notes in one big file was getting very frustrating. Kabikaboo solves that problem.

Even though a big note file is annoying, it would be just as annoying to click on each node and see the text inside. That's why there is a "View" style node in addition to "Edit". This style of node lets you recursively see the text of all children and/or grandchildren. So you can see all the stuff on all your characters by clicking the "Characters" node, or all the subnotes on one character by clicking on that node, etc.

Hope that makes sense.

Please please please DON'T use Kabikaboo to write your novel. You could if you really wanted to, but you're in for pain. It's meant to be a note-taker to help plan your novel. I write my book in AbiWord in another window.

aidave
June 5th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Another update: Have working GtkSourceView with undo/redo in the SourceForge repository!

May need to install package python-gtksourceview2 before running.

azangru
June 5th, 2009, 10:12 PM
For anyone trying to create a cool writing program: try to copy Scrivener. It seems to be well-suited not just for fiction or screenplays (where you need to keep track of characters), but for any large writing projects as well. It helps organize the material (bpth written and graphical), and provides a non-distracting full-screen writing environment, and exports all the writing into a universally recognized format (like rtf). It looks like the developers of Scrivener got it exactly right :)

aidave
June 7th, 2009, 08:25 PM
For anyone trying to create a cool writing program: try to copy Scrivener. It seems to be well-suited not just for fiction or screenplays (where you need to keep track of characters), but for any large writing projects as well. It helps organize the material (bpth written and graphical), and provides a non-distracting full-screen writing environment, and exports all the writing into a universally recognized format (like rtf). It looks like the developers of Scrivener got it exactly right :)

I wanted to create something that is not a place to make a novel, but a place to plan a novel. As far as I am concerned the tools already exist to write a novel (AbiWord, OpenOffice, LyX, Kile, etc)

I have no time to add all those features, and to top it off, recreate AbiWord or a fancy editor. A time-line would be nice, I am pondering adding that, it would be a 2.0 feature. It could link to nodes. I just wonder how to add it without cluttering the interface up, and for it to be a generic feature, not specific to a novel.

As for Scrivener, if you want it, it's already made, go buy it. ;)
If you tried to recreate Scrivener you probably wouldn't have time to write a novel. hehe. But if someone copies it, great for the community!

I am happy with using AbiWord/LyX+Kabikaboo!

Now if I could only figure out the Debian packaging.....

azangru
June 7th, 2009, 10:00 PM
As for Scrivener, if you want it, it's already made, go buy it. ;)

And a Mac to go along with it? ;)

If you tried to recreate Scrivener you probably wouldn't have time to write a novel. hehe. But if someone copies it, great for the community!

Yep, that's what I'm talking about :)

aidave
June 9th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Debian Installer packages are out:
https://launchpad.net/kabikaboo/+download

I have tested them but I dont know 100% that they will install correctly. Please post feedback if you try it out. Thanks!

aidave
August 19th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Update: New version of Kabikaboo, 1.2 is now out!

:popcorn:

mehaga
August 19th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Hi,

installed, but can't run it:

ImportError: No module named gtksourceview

libGtkSourceview and py bindings are installed. Ubuntu 9.04 64.

mehaga
August 19th, 2009, 08:56 PM
lol looks like i fixed it.

import gtksourceview2

edit: ok, maybe not. i only see the tree on the left side :/

aidave
August 24th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Hi,

installed, but can't run it:

ImportError: No module named gtksourceview

libGtkSourceview and py bindings are installed. Ubuntu 9.04 64.

Try to install package: "python-gtksourceview2"

It is supposed to automatically install if you use the Debian package.

aidave
September 2nd, 2009, 04:30 PM
Version 1.4 is out!

aidave
October 1st, 2009, 03:48 AM
Version 1.5 now out, with: