PDA

View Full Version : Migrating an Excel-VBA application

megamania
January 12th, 2006, 03:45 PM
I've been windows-free for a few months and I'm very happy about it.

The only real problem is that I have a program developed in Excel VBA for my personal accountings.

While it has a lot of bugs, it's quite an advanced program and it does all that I need. It's 99% made of macros (i.e. reports are mostly built from scratch by the program and there are very few worksheets
I would like to be able to use this program on Linux, and so far I've considered the following options:

- switch to GnuCash or similar applications
Cons:
I have over 10 years of accountings which I would like not to be lost.

- create a new application in Python or similar languages
Cons:
I would have to learn a new language from scratch (would it be worth it?)
I like the possibility to have reports in excel/calc, because I can easily create what-if scenarios from the output of my reports.

- migrate the application to OOO Calc
this looks like the best solution. I dowloaded a "migrating to OOO" pdf file and it looks like it can be done, but I'm wondering what the actual experiences on such a thing are, i.e. has anybody converted an excel VBA project to Calc so far? Are the differences big or can it be done relatively easily?

Any comments/suggestions will be much appreciated.

KingBahamut
January 12th, 2006, 03:58 PM
While speaking positively so (ive moved 3 small offices to OOO over MSO, they were probably 15 to 25 employee bases), I would have to say that transition to OOO is a decent one.

I would say what MYSELF would do is something of an amalgamtion of what your saying.

Migrate to OOO, and then learn a new language and develop a new app. If your going to go to Linux purely anyway, it helps to learn a new language, and really python isnt all that hard to learn.

Plus if you really need any help, we are always around to give proper input.
=)

megamania
January 12th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, Ubuntu Master Roaster! :-)

My first goal is to solve my current problem, so I think I'll try to convert at least the "output" macros (report creations) to OOO, even though the whole application is structured in a way that I have a lot to plan ahead before starting the migration.

Are there specific problems that you experienced on your migration to OOO? I'm just trying to figure out what to expect in terms of time/effort to put in this project...

KingBahamut
January 12th, 2006, 04:22 PM
It wasnt utterly seamless. Just one day MSO and the next OOO. There are some things to get used to and so forth, but once those are done , it should come pretty easily.