PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] External Monitor Problems...

goldblattster
May 18th, 2009, 01:51 AM
I have a laptop running ubuntu, and it is by far the best operating system I have ever used. And I have used a lot. Anyway, I decided to attach a FD Trinitron/WEGA monitor to my laptop, and Ubuntu recognised it as unknown. I use it now at 1024*768. I know this monitor and my graphics card are capable of more that that, so I went into display settings and selected 1152*864. I also knew my monitor/graphics card is capable of even more than that, but anyway when I applied, 1152*864, the screen went disaster! Ubuntu only fit on part of screen, sometimes when I clicked something it clicked on something entirely different, moving windows around left trails that did not go away, and there was just a whole bunch of graphical corruption. I have no idea why this is happening, and it would be great if you could help. I have attached a .txt file with a bunch of stuff you might find useful.

goldblattster
May 18th, 2009, 02:19 AM
bump :???:

goldblattster
May 18th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Can anyone help please? I really need to get this fixed.

Terry of Astoria
May 18th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Do you have the proprietary Intel drivers installed?
In Intrepid, click System - Administration - Hardware Drivers

goldblattster
May 18th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Proprietary free :p
That's good right?
I thought intel drivers are open source...

goldblattster
May 18th, 2009, 02:23 PM
bump?

goldblattster
May 18th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Is there a more appropriate forum to post this in? I really need help, and no one is helping me here.

Terry of Astoria
May 18th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Probably no-one has had the same problem you have, so no-one knows an answer.
Perhaps if you answered my question, I would find your problem more interesting.
There are definitely closed-source drivers as well as open-source drivers for Intel products. Have you installed the Intel Drivers on your system using the Hardware Drivers applet?

goldblattster
May 19th, 2009, 12:27 AM
No, I just have the the drivers that are included with ubuntu.