PDA

View Full Version : Back on winxp

blackant
January 12th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Been using Ubuntu for a few months, hence thought of getting back to winxp and play some games.

Did a fresh install, update and patch up everything. Install anti-virus and spywares etc...

Then when I thought I am safe, my pc starts to appear weird...a single click on the mouse sometimes becomes two. No, there is nothing wrong with my mouse as I tried it on another pc. (it is working fine now with ubuntu)

PC slowing down when I starts to update and install programs...

Now, back to ubuntu again.
Don't think I would go back to windows again. (unless I am going to play games again, hopefully not)

earobinson
January 12th, 2006, 03:37 PM
hehe, I was thinking this would be another ubuntu sucks im going to windows thread.

Sorry to find out that xp dident work for you, you could try a dif mouse?

fuscia
January 12th, 2006, 03:41 PM
games? that's what parks are for, son.

Miguel
January 12th, 2006, 03:45 PM
I personally wouldn't play golf on a stormy day. For these days, Tiger Woods 2k6 works like a charm (and I can sink puts from longer than 2 metres ;))

Although I can always try Links LS (the first one, which was also the first computer game I owned) under wine. And another point for gaming is... beating my dad is a pleasure, and we don't play together that often now.

nocturn
January 12th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Don't think I would go back to windows again. (unless I am going to play games again, hopefully not)

A console would be a good investment for this (my best friend does it that way).

Gowator
January 12th, 2006, 04:06 PM
A console would be a good investment for this (my best friend does it that way).
This is what I did except the XBOX hasn't been out of linux in a while now :D

alternatively just wipeXP and reinstall with no network/internet access.
Last XMAS I was doing this for my father and adding spyware/adware/anti-virus I was dloading and actually got infected while doing this!

I think even Win98 is a bit less prone to being attacked than XP!

Miguel
January 12th, 2006, 05:05 PM
The consoles option sounds more and more appealing with time... as long as you don't mind most games are "surprisingly" simmilar. I mean, you have sports (and you are served with one or two that's not from the first year of the console) and shooters and fighters. Once in a while you find some cool platform game, but that happens once in a time.

I love sims (realistic sims, not arcade sims), and these are rare. I also love some RPG games... of the old school, those that make you thing. You might jump with... TES IV: Oblivion!!!! It will be out on March for... the XBox 360. And then I start with the philosophical objections:
On one hand I have the XBox 360. It is expensive. It is from microsoft (the ones from MS Office, the ones from FAT patents, etc.).
You also have the Playstation 3. It will be more expensive. It is from Sony (remember the DRM rootlkit?).
Lastly, you have the Nintendo Revolution. I have always thought that nintendo makes games for children... though some think they are terribly original and fun. It could be they are right (if I choose right, too)

So I can't support a MS product, because they make my life MUCH more difficult (ever found yourself with grant fillout papers in .docs unreadable with OOo??).

I would feel guilty if I bought a product from a company that is closely related to another equally named company that abuses its customers illegally. Also, this company loves propietary formats even more than MS.

And lastly I have to change my mind about gaming if I am to like the Revoultion. Please bear in mind I was a Megadrive user, not a SuperNES. I am reluctant to buy something I don't know I will like (logically).

sorry for the long rant

blackant
January 12th, 2006, 05:45 PM
I have to spend everyday scanning for spywares, virus and clean up registry. :???:

Worst still, most of the time they are not be detected.:confused: and I am not sure whether or not it is being infected.

tseliot
January 12th, 2006, 05:53 PM
I have to spend everyday scanning for spywares, virus and clean up registry. :???:

Worst still, most of the time they are not be detected.:confused: and I am not sure whether or not it is being infected.
If this can comfort you, my father can't turn the computer off in Winxp any more. Whenever he tries to shut it down it only reboots. The Power button is the only way to turn it off.

It works fine in Ubuntu though.

He doesn't want to reinstall Windows because his recovery disk (by Compaq) will erase his entire hard disk :mad:

mstlyevil
January 12th, 2006, 06:09 PM
You could just dual boot. Make a small partition for Win xp. (You will need at least 10 gigs of space for this.) Then once you have it installed make sure you have a firewall installed before you do anything else. Then download and install your latest drivers. After this go to Windows Update and get all of your updates. Now if you are not going to need the internet for multiplayer games you can go into services.msc and turn the network off. Then you install your games and just use this partition is your wintendo. You will need to do a reinstall of Ubuntu because Win XP likes to erase the grub. This is pretty much what I did and it works out great for me.

GoA
January 12th, 2006, 06:28 PM
How can people have so much problems with windows? Ok, I understand that not everyone are geeks but if a linux geek gets windows messed up then it's users own fault. Everytime my windows has broken is because I have been tuning it too much so reinstall was the fastest way to repair ir. But no, I haven't never had any spyware, viruses or any other bad programs. Also the machine doesn't feel any more slower with antivirus programs than without them. So, if you know how to use windows, it won't broke. ;)

Gowator
January 13th, 2006, 11:05 AM
How can people have so much problems with windows? Ok, I understand that not everyone are geeks but if a linux geek gets windows messed up then it's users own fault. Everytime my windows has broken is because I have been tuning it too much so reinstall was the fastest way to repair ir. But no, I haven't never had any spyware, viruses or any other bad programs. Also the machine doesn't feel any more slower with antivirus programs than without them. So, if you know how to use windows, it won't broke. ;)

Erm its pretty simple... Windows is much more complex than Linux .. I don't have a clue how to add a new NIC for ionstance without it doing the whole automatic hardware detection crap ...

From my father's default install (from recovery disk) I went to download some antivirus stuff and anti spyware stuff and adware blocker and by the time I installed them on a 56k modem I already had the virus's.

protecting linux is pretty simple from the default install. it can be further hardened but its nowhere near as leaky as a default Windows install.

Its hard to see what else my father might have done to mess it up... i mean he only does email and a bit of internet with some photo editing once a month. He doesn't install software or anything beyond what is already there ...

fuscia
January 13th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Windows is much more complex than Linux ..

i'm beginning to realize this. it began to dawn on me when i found out that linux is a monolithic kernal (especially after i found out what a monolithic kernal is). i kept looking for underlying complexities that just don't exist.

Gowator
January 13th, 2006, 05:28 PM
i'm beginning to realize this. it began to dawn on me when i found out that linux is a monolithic kernal (especially after i found out what a monolithic kernal is). i kept looking for underlying complexities that just don't exist.
It doesn't stop at the kernel though ... linux is just a set of progs that follow config files and you can sit down at the screen and work it all out. (having said that *bsd is a microkernel and that is nice and simple too)
Its simple by design ... whereas Windows is complex as a set of necessites and shortcuts built on other shortcuts... in the past we lived with 640k .. then DOS compatibility then 16-bit compat and so on....
Windows added netbui in Wfw and we are still living with the results today...

The 2000 TCP/IP stack up to 2k was just a bolt-on over MS protocols while the rest of the world was using TCP/IP and whereas *nix had TCP/IP supported in the kernel Windows never quite supported it properly until 2k ... I still remember those reboots jujst to change an IP address or netmask ..

So Windows is partly complex by poor design (registry) and partly by backwards compatibility with bad design or cut corners (FAT) .. linux has a monolithic kernel but still managers modular suppoirt for filesystems ... Windows doesn't .. think about something as simple as creating an ISO in windows or even reading one.. in linux you just mount it on on loopback!

fuscia
January 13th, 2006, 05:51 PM
It doesn't stop at the kernel though ... linux is just a set of progs that follow config files and you can sit down at the screen and work it all out. (having said that *bsd is a microkernel and that is nice and simple too)
Its simple by design ... whereas Windows is complex as a set of necessites and shortcuts built on other shortcuts... in the past we lived with 640k .. then DOS compatibility then 16-bit compat and so on....
Windows added netbui in Wfw and we are still living with the results today...

The 2000 TCP/IP stack up to 2k was just a bolt-on over MS protocols while the rest of the world was using TCP/IP and whereas *nix had TCP/IP supported in the kernel Windows never quite supported it properly until 2k ... I still remember those reboots jujst to change an IP address or netmask ..

So Windows is partly complex by poor design (registry) and partly by backwards compatibility with bad design or cut corners (FAT) .. linux has a monolithic kernel but still managers modular suppoirt for filesystems ... Windows doesn't .. think about something as simple as creating an ISO in windows or even reading one.. in linux you just mount it on on loopback!

this is me reading your post...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/unknownentity/linuxdeer2.jpg