PDA

View Full Version : Selling a website???

m3bik
May 17th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I've been doing research about selling websites, but I'm interested to see if anyone with first-hand experience can maybe give a few pointers...

I run a website that basically runs itself. I've custom built the entire software package for the site. It uses PHP and a MySQL database.

The website currently averages 15,000 - 20,000 hits per month. This is done with little to no maintenance. I even have a cron script that cleans the database every week or so.

Last year I profited between 75 - 100 dollars through a couple different ad agencies.

I've been considering selling it (on eBay maybe?) I was wondering what a good asking price might be for this type of site or if eBay isn't recommended for selling websites?

I've never sold a website before, and like I've mentioned- I have been doing research. I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice. Thanks.

Barrucadu
May 17th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I'd suggest you have a look around namepros.com, it's a forum for domainers so you'll no doubt find a good answer to your question.

sydbat
May 17th, 2009, 08:42 PM
15,000 to 20,000 hits/month is nothing. I run a small site that gets 50,000 - 75,000 hits/month from search engines alone. The other ~250,000 hits come from (hopefully) real people.

So, I would not expect you to get much money for your site.

Also, it is not the content of your site you are selling, it is the domain name. Content, unless it is completely unique, is not a selling point. If your site was for a company that sold items/services, it would be different.

m3bik
May 17th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Yeah, it is just one of the sites I own. I've had it for a couple years now. I haven't put too much into it, and am getting tired of running it. That's why I'm thinking of selling it.

There isn't much content to the site anyway. It is a member-based website though, and it currently has over 3500 members.

fatality_uk
May 17th, 2009, 09:40 PM
There's no value in the site with a profit of $100. I suggest that you offer the site for sale to one of your 3,500 members. If they are active in the site, they may well give you $100 for it.