PDA

View Full Version : need help with very basic bash script

Woody1987
May 17th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Im trying to write a bash script that will download the source code for a program, in this example it is banshee. The script will then download the build dependencies and then configure and make, lastly install.

The script so far:

#!/bin/bash
cd /tmp
apt-get source <help>
sudo apt-get build-dep <help>
cd <help>
./configure CFLAGS="-march=core2 -O2 -pipe" CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu" MAKEOPTS="j5" -prefix=/usr
make
sudo checkinstall -D make install
sudo dpkg -i <help>.deb

Where <help> is shown is where i need the help. What i want to be able to do is pass an argument to the script i.e. banshee so that <help> will read banshee or any other program i desire. This will work partly, but on lines 5 and 10 (cd <help> sudo dpkg -i <help>.deb) this wont work as this will be not just the program name but also the version.

This is what the script needs to look like:

#!/bin/bash
cd /tmp
apt-get source banshee
sudo apt-get build-dep banshee
cd banshee-1.4.3
./configure CFLAGS="-march=core2 -O2 -pipe" CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu" MAKEOPTS="j5" -prefix=/usr
make
sudo dpkg -i banshee-1.4.3_amd64.deb

This would be fine if the only program i wanted to compile was banshee, but i want to be able to pass any program into the script and for it to compile.

pokerbirch
May 17th, 2009, 08:33 PM
To get user input, use the read command. Obviously the user would have to enter the correct file name but it should work ok. This is NOT tested!

#!/bin/bash
echo "Please enter the app name and press [ENTER]"
read app_name
cd /tmp
apt-get source $app_name
sudo apt-get build-dep $app_name
cd $app_name
make
sudo dpkg -i "$app_name.deb"

Woody1987
May 17th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks, but i was thinking more like pass as an argument instead of prompting for user input,

e.g. ./script banshee
./script vlc
./script deluge
etc
etc

Woody1987
May 17th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Some research has lead me to

#!/bin/bash

cd /tmp
apt-get source $1
sudo apt-get build-dep $1
cd $1
make
sudo dpkg -i "$1.deb"

exit 0

This works except i then need to be able to cd into the program directory but the folder isnt called the same as the program, it has the version number in it.

Woody1987
May 17th, 2009, 09:32 PM
fixed it a little more for the installing the deb

#!/bin/bash

cd /tmp
apt-get source $1
sudo apt-get build-dep $1
cd $1-1.4.3
make
sudo checkinstall -D -y make install
sudo dpkg -i "*.deb"

exit 0

just need to be able to cd now.

Woody1987
May 17th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Solved!

#!/bin/bash

cd /tmp
apt-get source $1
sudo apt-get -y build-dep $1
cd $1*
make
sudo checkinstall -D -y make install
sudo dpkg -i "*.deb"
sudo rm -r /tmp/$1*

exit 0