PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] rythmbox icon in the upper bar is lost (my mistake)

doron387
May 17th, 2009, 03:49 PM
[to save you time - it was solved thanks to rudy.b. - i removed the 'notification area' from the upper panel, to have it back - you right click the upper panel -> add to panel -> 'notification area', sweet and easy.]

hi,
while checking out how ubuntu 9.04, gnome, i386, works for me and my gigabyte w566n laptop (until now it's very promissing...), while transmission is downloading something for my mom, surfing the web in firefox and the music was playing in the background by rythmbox i was hovering over the upper bar and when the cursor was above the rythmbox icon i rightclicked and chose remove. (it was from curiosity...)
so now i don't have it any more.
what is the way to bring it back to the upper bar ?
when rythmbox plays there is thus "long window (?!#$)" / "minimized" on the lower bar of the desktop which indicates that rythmbox is working, but i wish it to be minimized in the upper bar as it was b4.
thanks for those who have the solution.
doron387

jerrrys
May 17th, 2009, 04:29 PM
go to sound and video, right click on rythmbox, then add launcher to panel...

doron387
May 17th, 2009, 04:42 PM
thnx,
it adds the icon to the upper bar, and it fubnctions as a launcher indeed but it does not function anymore as b4 (e.g. when left-clicked nothing happens - previously it was opening/minimizing the rythmbox window from and into the upper bar)
now, i can launch the program from the icon by right click > open rythmbox.
but, the minimized program still exists in the lower bar.
weird, isnt it ?
doron387

jrox717
May 17th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I think you're talking about the icon in the notification applet area-- there should be three light lines somewhere to the left of where the icon was. this is an area on the panel where programs that are running can display notifications, etc. When I open rhythmbox I see this icon, but when I rightclick I am not able to remove it. I also looked all over the menu and I couldn't find out how to disable it. You can go to help > notification area in rhythmbox for more information, although it doesn't say much.

I'm sorry I don't know more, but maybe this will get you on the right track!

rudy.b
May 18th, 2009, 07:43 AM
i was hovering over the upper bar and when the cursor was above the rythmbox icon i rightclicked and chose remove. (it was from curiosity...)
so now i don't have it any more.
what is the way to bring it back to the upper bar ?

I think what you probably did was remove the notification area from your panel, since there is no way that I can see where you can remove the Rhythmbox icon from the notification area. To get it back:

right click on the panel > Add to Panel... > select Notification Area > Add

doron387
May 18th, 2009, 11:31 AM
rudy.b. - you're the man !!!
that was the issue.
i was just looking for the skype icon - but it solved both missing icons.
thnx a lot
doron387
[SOLVED]

doron387
May 18th, 2009, 11:36 AM
admins - please mark it as solved.
thnx