PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Acroread Problem

phillip181
May 17th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Everytime I try to start Acrobat Reader 9, it comes up An Internal Error Has Occured. I have tried reinstalling it, but it still happens. Does anyone have any idea?

kpkeerthi
May 17th, 2009, 02:12 PM
How did you install acrobat reader?

Do you really need acrobat? Its one heck of a bloated closed source junk. The default Document Reader (evince) that comes preinstalled with Ubuntu handles PDFs just fine.

If you still insist, :), I suggest you install it from the repository. Make sure 'partner repository' is enabled under System -> Admin -> Softwares Sources and then run this command:

sudo apt-get install acroread

coffeecat
May 17th, 2009, 02:47 PM
If you still insist, :), I suggest you install it from the repository. Make sure 'partner repository' is enabled under System -> Admin -> Softwares Sources and then run this command:

That's true for 32-bit Jaunty, but for 64-bit you have to use Medibuntu and you only get version 8. Or at least that was true a couple of weeks ago when I last checked.

phillip181, if you really get stuck with Acroread and find Evince too basic for your needs, have a look at Okular. It's in the repositories and is excellent. It's a KDE app though and will bring in some KDE dependencies if you're running Gnome.