PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to 9.04 with a tablet

tatewaki
May 17th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Hey, i was wondering if anybody had tried upgrading from 8.10 to 9.04 on a tablet? I was able to get automatic rotation with the screen an touch working, so i am a bit scared of upgrading if it should brake it all.

I'm using a Lenovo x61 tablet, but as i know, a tablet uses the same drivers and scripts to rotate the screen.

tatewaki
June 1st, 2009, 11:15 PM
Nobody?

tatewaki
August 14th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Well for anybody interrested, i got it to work with 9.04 by the old X way. But in 9.10 i got i to work with hal so i will be posting a howto soon

Mark Phelps
August 14th, 2009, 02:53 PM
I have a tablet PC(Fujitsu) and a trial upgrade to 9.04 broke nearly everything. I had a highly customized xorg.conf which, as you know, is nearly useless in 9.04. So, I reverted back.

Will be very interested in your how-to.

Thanks

melon2006
August 17th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I've managed to set up graphic tablet Trust TB-6300 under 64-bit 9.04 (dual monitor with Nvidia)

I requires installing wizardpen drivers (v0.7-alpha2). Compilation&installation is pretty straightforward but hopefully some day wizardpen drivers would be in repositories.

Pressure sensitivity works in all graphics applications that I use: Gimp, Inkscape and Blender (i.e. sculpting).

HAL instant plug-in works OK, it requires file
/etc/hal/fdi/policy/99-x11-wizardpen.fdi that contains following text:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<device>
<!-- This MUST match with the name of your tablet -->
<match key="info.product" contains="UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U">
<merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">wizardpen</merge>
<merge key="info.product" type="string">stylus</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.SendCoreEvents" type="string">true</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.TopX" type="string">0</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.TopY" type="string">234</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.BottomX" type="string">32747</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.BottomY" type="string">32726</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.MaxX" type="string">32747</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.MaxY" type="string">32726</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.TopZ" type="string">1</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.BottomZ" type="string">512</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.MaxZ" type="string">512</merge>
</match>
</device>
</deviceinfo>

Note: "stylus" key makes pressure sensitivity works in Blender (it's my everyday work app, so it's crucial to have 100% functional graphics tablet).

Favux
August 17th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Hi melon2006,

Congratulations on setting up your WizardPen tablet!

DoctorMO does have a ppa (with deb.s) for the wizardpen driver. It's here: https://launchpad.net/~doctormo/+archive/xorg-wizardpen

He's hoping people test it out and report any bugs here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/wizardpen If he can get enough feedback he'd like to add it to the wiki.

melon2006
August 21st, 2009, 01:02 PM
hi Favux,

Thanks for information. I've succesfuly installed deb packages from DoctorMO's repository (64-bit 9.04). So far everything is working fine.

Favux
August 21st, 2009, 05:02 PM
Hi melon2006,

Good deal! Like I said, he would appreciate feedback.

trevjs
September 10th, 2009, 10:20 PM
This thread was helpful in that I wouldn't have found the packages, but now I'm wondering how to use these packages with the howto. How would I run the calibration tool in order to see what it outputs? I have a brand new g-pen M-609 that I'm trying to get setup for dual monitors, but I can't figure out how to set it to use only one monitor.

Favux
September 11th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Hi trevjs,

Partly that depends on what video card you have. ATI and nVidia have proprietary solutions and don't use Xrandr. So if you're using their proprietary drivers you have to use their solutions.