PDA

View Full Version : Will There Be A E-buntu

woodbj
May 17th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Will there ever be a Enlightenment + Ubuntu once E17 comes out or sooner?

Mehall
May 17th, 2009, 10:38 AM
An official one like Kubuntu or Xubuntu?

probably not, at least not for a while.

But, just like Crunchbang does Openbox, there are already e17 Ubuntu-based systems.

loell
May 17th, 2009, 10:41 AM
there is opengeu (http://opengeu.intilinux.com/Home.html)

ghindo
May 17th, 2009, 10:53 AM
The better question is: will there ever be a stable release of Enlightenment? :-k

gjoellee
May 17th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Open Geu is E17 with Ubuntu
Elive is E17 with Debian

pwnst*r
May 17th, 2009, 01:51 PM
The better question is: will there ever be a stable release of Enlightenment? :-k

i've never used Enlightenment. is it that bad?

Mehall
May 17th, 2009, 01:53 PM
i've never used Enlightenment. is it that bad?

e16 is stable.

e17 *can* be stable.

It's svn managed, and depending on when you update from the svn, then you can either get a fantastic version, or something that is horridbly broken, or anywhere in between.

chriskin
May 17th, 2009, 01:54 PM

true...are they even trying to make it stable yet? i can't remember how long e17 is in "development"

but, to answer to the op's question , i don't know if there is going to be any but i sure HOPE there will be, e17 is nice for the eye, especially the version found on elive's ecomorph version , one that uses a modified e17 along side a modified compiz :)

chriskin
May 17th, 2009, 01:54 PM
e16 is stable.

e17 *can* be stable.

It's svn managed, and depending on when you update from the svn, then you can either get a fantastic version, or something that is horridbly broken, or anywhere in between.

by stable we mean the final product, not svn screenshots or beta releases or release candidates .

Mehall
May 17th, 2009, 01:57 PM
by stable we mean the final product, not svn screenshots or beta releases or release candidates .

I know, I was answering the guy I quoted.

They have released a schedule, apparently, and seem to be hoping to get Beta out this year.

chriskin
May 17th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I know, I was answering the guy I quoted.

They have released a schedule, apparently, and seem to be hoping to get Beta out this year.

are you sure?
BEST NEWS OF THE YEAR :)

you are my day's hero :)
hehe :)

pwnst*r
May 17th, 2009, 02:15 PM
true...are they even trying to make it stable yet? i can't remember how long e17 is in "development"

but, to answer to the op's question , i don't know if there is going to be any but i sure HOPE there will be, e17 is nice for the eye, especially the version found on elive's ecomorph version , one that uses a modified e17 along side a modified compiz :)

lol, nice official video of Elive Ecomorph (elive compiz)

chriskin
May 17th, 2009, 02:16 PM
lol, nice official video of Elive Ecomorph (elive compiz)

hahhahaha, i haven't seen that part :P

seriously now, if you see the whole video, it is nice :)

edit : by the way, if anyone knows about e17, please help me find a way to get their desktop choosing thing in this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7295671

pwnst*r
May 17th, 2009, 02:24 PM
hahhahaha, i haven't seen that part :P

seriously now, if you see the whole video, it is nice :)

edit : by the way, if anyone knows about e17, please help me find a way to get their desktop choosing thing in this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7295671

of course i watched the whole thing :) it was just not put together very well.

chriskin
May 17th, 2009, 02:26 PM
of course i watched the whole thing :) it was just not put together very well.

i have to congratulate you , i have seen the video more than 4 or 5 times, and i have not seen the image you posted
it terrifies me that i skipped to the part where the desktop eye candy was :P

got to go now, cu :)

solitaire
May 17th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Well E17 *Will* be stable but it will probably be when Ubuntu is on to it's "Zany Zebra" build....(which will be build 17.10 i think) :D lol

DigitalDuality
May 17th, 2009, 03:34 PM
d

chriskin
May 17th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I've yet to understand why everytime someone repackages Ubuntu with another DE or WM, it needs to be rebranded and distributed out as a seperate distro.

it is not different with the meaning that you cannot change from the one to the other though
you can change from kubuntu, ubuntu, xubuntu, edubuntu etc etc with 3-4 clicks