PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] location of alternate download file check using jaunty

Muddywellies
May 17th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I'm new to linux. Presently checking it out alongside existing xp on machine due to be replaced by a 64bit new build within the month. I've downloaded the alternate 64bit iso file using jaunty (as a practise exercise). But I can't find a similar ubuntu download check like the md5sum used for windows.

Partyboi2
May 17th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Hi, have a look at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Muddywellies
May 17th, 2009, 07:36 AM
That's the one! But you won't believe just how many 'download related' tabs I've opened during the past two hours only to find no link to this page.
However. This is what I get.
administrator@ubuntu:~$ cd download_directory
bash: cd: download_directory: No such file or directory(???)

Partyboi2
May 17th, 2009, 07:49 AM
cd download_directory means you need to move to the correct directory where the downloaded iso file is. So for example if you have the downloaded iso on your Desktop you would enter

cd ~/Desktop
then

md5sum ubuntu-*****.iso
replace the **** with the correct name of the iso.

Muddywellies
May 17th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Sounds so simple. I'm looking at my desk top with an icon showing the file before my very eyes but my terminal response is:
administrator@ubuntu:~$ cd ~/Desktop
administrator@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ md5sum unbutu-9.04-alternate-amd64.iso
md5sum: unbutu-9.04-alternate-amd64.iso: No such file or directory
administrator@ubuntu:~/Desktop$

I'm sorry Partboi2 but if it's taken 3 hours to get 'this far' my previous faith and excitement for Unbutu is now fast evaporating, which is a pity because I really did NOT want to use ms windows on my new machine.

Muddywellies
May 17th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Shutdown unbutu and returned to XP and within 3 mins confirmed my previously downloaded iso file (which I'd copied to an external drive).