PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation does not even start

BrTorquemada
May 17th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I am about to give up on Ubuntu...

I built a spare computer from several parts I had at home, but there were some memory problems and what not so Ubuntu never really got to finish the install process. So, I went out and bought new mobo, new PS, memory, HD, CPU, video card.... almost a new computer, then only parts I am reusing now are the DVD Writer and the case.

Then I put the same Ubuntu Installation DVD I was using with the old computer, and I got the error:

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

Of course I thought I did something wrong with the connections, so I checked everything again and again, only to receive the same message. Then I tried my Windows Installation CD, which worked perfectly. So, given that the DVD media and the DVD writer I was using were the same that were working in the old computer, I thought the problem was that I had dowloaded the i386 version of Ubuntu, and as the new processor is an AMD 64, I downloaded the AMD64 version of Ubuntu, only to get the same message...

Any help to this newbie will be much appreciated...

By the way, I only enabled the DVD as the boot device (and it works, otherwise Windows wouldn't have kicked it's installation procedure, which I aborted by the way)

BrTorquemada
May 17th, 2009, 07:06 AM
OK, I burnt the ISO image on a CD instead of a DVD and it just started the installation process, I ignore why, as it worked fine from the DVD before...